Pulled Codes...49...??

007_SuperCoupe

Okay, pulled codes again yesterday as I replaced the brake relay (antiskid relay). Now I've got this other code of 49. Basically that means that the DIS is not receiving the SPOUT signal and sets the timing at 10*. That would explain why when I go into boost, I'm having a miss. It's definately not running right. My first thought is that it is the crank sensor as that is what sends the SPOUT signal. However, if the crank sensor goes out, I shouldn't be able to start my car, correct? I have no trouble starting it at all. In fact, I have very little trouble with it at all until I put the car in boost. That is when I have trouble. The car feels like it is hesitating, then will kick in and then back to hesitating. Can a DIS cause this? That has gone out before and I had a pretty bad miss and lots of bucking. I have a good miss now, but don't have any of the associated bucking. I'm getting ready to put new plugs and wires on to try that, but I don't think that will solve it. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Anybody? I'm not driving the car right now until I get the brakes fixed. I'm installing new plugs/wires/IC seals and fixing the brakes in the next week.

I believe that my DIS is in it's default mode where it runs at 10* BTDC. Today I had to try a couple times to get it to start. What can cause this? Please help! This is my daily driver for now and I need it to be operational.

49er's

Okay .. spout signal is not from crank sensor..crank sensor is PIP signal..and if no SPOUT signal ..then DIS uses PIP signal..which is fixed at 10* btdc ...that's what you have ...no spout signal from the EEC to the DIS ...then no timing advance ...

little system check for you

crank sensor ...OK using PIP signal to run now
cam sensor ...OK DIS receiving CID signal... car start right up
DIS is not hunting for coil timing
tach is working ...means IDM [ Ignition Diagnostic Monitor] signal is being sent to the EEC from the DIS
EEC has stored code 49 which is NO SPOUT signal ...

That would mean DIS is at fault ......dave

Thanks for the info. I replaced the DIS about 1-1/2 years ago. Could just have gotten a bad one as I've had this "miss" problem for quite some time and could not hunt it down. Progressively it has gotten worse and now a code. I'll pull it and get it replaced (lifetime warrantee) and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again.

Update

Put in new plugs (iridiums) and wires last night and early indications are that it has fixed the problem. I have no misses or hesitation on acceleration. I think that (along with a vacuum leak) was what my problem was. Hopefully it is all fixed now though.

Rock on Sam - are you still planning to come up to the meet in Omaha next Sunday? Just double checking.

-Andy "Melon"

I"m planning on it, work permitting. I'll know sometime this week whether I've got to work Sat or Sun. I'm hoping Sunday, because I'll have to be in Omaha. May be late, but it's better than never right? Anyway, catch you later.

Back