Suspension work... how much $ ?

Berserk

I just got tires put on and was told that my upper ball joints (and thus the upper control arms) needed to be replaced. What kind of money and time am I looking at to get the parts and do the replacing?

I just had my tires put on not to long ago myself and the mechanic noticed my front end needed some work. Which it just so happened to be the ball joints. He gave me a free estimate on those and it ran 433 dollars labor and parts if that helps you any :).

I'm actually hoping to do the work myself... So I'm just looking for list price on the control arms and ball joints... Anyone done this recently?

The upper control arms with ball joints (you can't replace just the upper joint) are between 60-90 dollars each depending on where you go. Autozone does carry them pretty cheap.

Ahh I didnt realize they had to replace the control arms too when they do the ball joints I guess ya do learn somethin everyday. That explains what the other 65 dollar charge was for on the receipt they gave me. The ball joints were running 119 bucks a peice according to their prices.

Do them yourself, not a bad job at all. Takes about two hours to do.

I got mine from local parts shop - $48.00 each. Even though he said he couldn't get TRW arms, they came in stamped TRW - go figure!!

Make sure you tie up the lower suspension parts - don't let them just hang. While your under there, get a good look at the other parts/bushings checking for worn out stuff.

Good luck.

Mark
'93 SC

Back