87 Conquest Tsi

rookie94sc

87 Conquest Tsi
2.6L Turbo RWD 5-spd LSD

jeff4.jpg

Anyone know anything about these? I'm looking at one for a daily driver... Already have 156,000 miles on the SC lookin' to get a daily so I can do more work on it without worrying about getting the work done so I can get to work.

those can be made very fast, but parts are exspensive and it's probably not the most reliable, the T Bird would be a better daily than that.

that being said, they're gorgeous cars and I want one so long as I have enough money to keep it up.

It's also known as a Mitsubishi Starion in case you're having trouble finding more info on them.

Yeah I knew about the heads, the guy already reworked the head and put a new turbo on 5,000 miles ago. One of the technicians at the dealership I work at said they're good cars just wondering if anyone on here had any experience with them.

Is that the one?
I'd have to get it if in good shape and the price is right. I love those cars.

BTW, I remember reading on turbobuick.com that there is one of those out there running around with a GN engine in it. :eek:

Last edited:
no that was the closest pic i could find real quick. but the one I'm looking at is in as good of shape, white, wheels are stock but black with a polished lip.

I've always thought those were good looking cars, with the flared wheel fenders and all. I guess they've been around long enough that the "angular" front end look went out of style and now is coming back (remind you of a caddy XLR at all?) Looks even better with some fat tires stuffed in there.

Beatiful cars, have insane potential, A good platform for high performance but over all not a good daily driver. They also make good drifting toys.

In person they don't resemble a Daytona. Very butch, tough looking cars. I remember they had some really wide tires on there. The earlier ones were a little strange in the interior, but I think the later ones were nicer. Pretty rare car, don't know when I saw one last. What do they go for now?

I think that and the Subaru SVX are 2 of the coolest, little known cars for their times. I'd love to find a nice one of either to pick up.

My friend actually just bought an 86 and is re-doing it completely, stripping the block and starting over. When you set up a real fuel injection, like multi-port they have an incredible potential. He's a college studetn and doing this on somewhat of a budget (a lot bigger budget then i have for my SC, but still limited) but he's still looking for 350 rwhp. Good luck if you decide to get it.

oh, and if im not mistaken, doesnt it have an injector in the carb that leaked under boost? just remembering some things about that car....i would look into that.

stephen

Rip out the 2.6 and drop in a 4g63 in it.. The swap isnt that hard.. And those motors are damn near bulletproof for what you want..

The conquests are actually just as dependable as the SC, despite the age difference. They are a heck of a lot easier to work on, too. I've had 2 of them, both stock, and both quick little cars. My brother currently has an 87 that he's done some mods to, and it's easily running low 13's, for under $3K. If you're looking for one to build up eventually, you will want an 88 or 89. The later models had a stronger clutch and rear end, as well as a higher stock boost setting. The earlier models had a fuel cut at around 10psi of boost. Check out www.starquestclub.com for more info. You won't regret getting one. (other than the fact that they suck in snow).

Jake

Wow, that really is a big power increase (per site)

from 146 hp 185 tq
to 188 hp 234tq --> at 2500 RPM.

Nice. Too bad no one on that site can take a picture worth a crap! Can't find any really good shots of the car. Digital people! LOL!

Wouldn't mess with it. I owned a 88 Conquest TSi for several years before the Bird. They are fairly problematic cars. Jet valve heads for one....which usually crack before 100K are the biggest. but the cars are also heavy 3500lbs+, rust prone, and have glitchy electronics. Everything is digital in the car, but a little TOO much. Sometimes when working the electronic heater controls the car would die?!?

Also, the intakes are poorly designed and the throttle body injection is less than desirable. Overall, the cars are VERY unique, and still have shockingly good looks. Plus, those cars were very expensive when new and offer a lot of cool features. But in the end, they are not that fast, and if you try to make it faster you'll find out the weak links pretty quick.

Plus, you don't really want to worry about ripping off the front ground effects at every driveway enterance do you?

i would pass it up. You can score a early Eclipse GST for the same or less. And those cars are not only faster and less complicated, but way more durable and reliable.

I bought a 1990 GST back in March of '99 (with 118K miles) for $1300 and it was a blast to drive.

Micah

Hmmm Good idea micah :) most likely a GSX or TSI talon though... we get snow up here and rain a bit so the AWD would be nice.

Or you could just follow what i said and drop in the Eclipse 2.0l turbo motor in the Conquest and have the best of both worlds :) Or an AWD DSM will work just fine too.. LoL

Just drop it in there.

Engine: Go home! Are you too good for your home?
Just taaaaap it in there. Just a little tap.

Back