MN12 Crossmember mounts

Digitalchaos

As you probably know, new mn12 transmission crossmember mounts are round with a machined edge. These are considerably different in appearance to the stock square mounts which 'fold' over the edge of the crossmember and have a metal plate on top.

How exactly are the new mounts installed? Can I assume the side with a machine cut appearance faces the crossmember on either side, thicker on the top? Are the metal plates used with the original mounts maintained? Lastly, are the metal sleeves which come with the new mounts an option incase the original sleeve covered bolts are missing, or are they required too? Thanks

After looking over the pics at mn12, I see my stock bolts have sleeves welded over them, as large as the inserts that came with. Also, I am missing the apparently stock cup washers, they were never there. Are these washers necessary for proper operation?

Pain in the butt to install them. Get a dremel or a rotozip with a spiral saw bit. Cut the old rubber out of the metal sleeve. It will take a little, and it's gunna stink, so do it in a vented area. Make sure you remove all rubber, then hammer new bushings in. Fairly easy to install. I did mine in under a half an hour. Patience is needed.

There are two different styles of transmission crossmember mounts on the SC. The 89 to 93 is the rectangular fold-over style and the 94-up is a bell shaped metal covered bushing that presses into the mount. Ford no longer sells the early style and from Ford you get a whole new crossmember with the newer style mounts. The newer style bolts must also be used.

For the poly mounts, on the early style, once your remove the old rubber and rectangular washers, the new poly bushings go in with the lipped one on the bottom. The round lips should be centered in the oval hole in the crossmember. I do not remember any of the cupped washers on my 89. Looks like you will need to spend the additional $10 and get those washers and bolts from Rich. I would NOT install the new poly bushings without the cupped washers (or some other thick washer), since over time the bolt head could pull through the poly. The mount would then be loose, best case or worse case, fall out with the tranny!

Once you have the cupped washers insert the bolt through the washer and then though the lower poly bushing. Then install the sleeve on the bolt and then put on the top piece of poly (the one without the lips). Then tighten the bolt on each side to specs to the underside of your car. Watch to make sure the lips stay in the hole as you tighten the bolts.

Once you have all the pieces together, take a look at the instructions on Rich’s site again. I think it will all be much clearer by then.

I have installed the new crossmember mounts, thin on top. However, I am now having problems with tightening the nut onto the main transmission mount bolt. This bolt coming out of the new mount is so far back in the crossmember slot that the washer-nut will not fit. I am going to pry the bolt forward to fit the washer-nut as the rubber allows some movement, although this does not seem correct. Any reason this would be occuring?

Back