? use of "the O/D off" button....

cp308

I've got a 95 automatic.

Regarding the O/D button on the side of the transmission selector, what all does it do / effect?

I know It prevents the transmission from shifting into 4th gear (O/D), and the purpose is supposed to be to prevent the trans. from "hunting" between 3rd and 4th in hill country, and to be able to force trans. into 3rd for engine braking on long downhills.

Does it have any other effects or uses? I'm wondering if it causes shift points to change, or changes how much throttle is necessary to cause a downshift, etc.

A second question along the same lines-

Does having the O/D off cause the transmission to be able to downshift more quickly to second when stepping on it at highway speeds... maybe because it doesn't have to go through 3rd, or is it able to go directly from 4th to 2nd and skip passing through 3rd?

I've tried to figure these things out on my own by experimenting, but it's hard to be objective about it and also it seems inconsistent. Someone with a good knowledge of how these transmissions work should be able to explane this (I hope!)

Back