Electical problem

darriantbird

Well where to start.Igot my sc back from the mechanic about three weeks ago he installed a motor for me that i got from 90xr7reborn. well on the ride home I was having an intermittant problem with it cutting out and I am like WTF, so anyhow I get the car home open the hood gas leak on fuel rail, no prob right ? So I get some hardware to fix from local parts store fix it up and don't give it another thought .I have not started the car since untill today when I decide to tackle the exhaust (which is rotted out thats why I am not driving it) well to make a long story short I move the car 10 feet and every light in the dash blinks on and off car almost dies then revs back up, I turn the steering wheel so I can back into the drive where I want to work on it bam it dies all dash lights blinking again!

My question is the Ground straps loose maybe ?. I have allready replaced all of the electronics Dis ,ignition switch,pcm ,eec and such just before I blew my old motor so all of that crap should be good.

Are any of you guys gonna answer me or just look I could use any advice or similar situations with my symptoms described .I will look at the problem tomorrow since I ran out of day light before I could start routing out this problem

Try deese things out

I would check every and all ground wire and grounding strap. I added 4Gauge grounds for the engine and battery. I never have had any problems. Also, get some contact cleaner for your battery terminals and spray em good. Use a multimeter and measure the voltage difference between the battery, and from the +battery lead to different spots on the engine and chassis. If there are any big differences, you'll have an idea on where to start. For my extra grounds, I used power/ground cable from an audio ampkit along with 4Ga. ring terminals. Also, check to make sure all of your engine harness connectors are plugged in. Best of luck, you'll need it.

I just had the same problem. It is most likely the chassis ground. You can use jumper cables from the negative battery post to a good chassis gound to test it.

Don't just clean the connection or check for voltage at the chassis. Completely replace the chassis ground strap with a bigger cable. Because it obviously is getting a connection if the car runs at all, but then when electrical load is put on the connection it looses connectivity.

Good Luck

Last edited:
it may also be the ground from the engine to the chasis (passenger side motor mount) as that strap is a frail ugly thing. clip onto the engine and chasis with the jumper cables, much like the way mike said

Sorry I haven't replied you guys have given me some good insight to my problem It has been rainy and cold here in new England so I have not had a chance to do much with her,I have been trying to get the exhaust system all set too. Do you guys think I should just run a separate ground all together and do you think if this is my problem that this would be a permanent fix?

It really doesn't matter if you replace the grounds or leave the existing grounds and run seperate ones. I would personally replace them, run new ground cables at the same locations.
if the problem is your grounds then yes, replacing them with bigger, heavier cables should definiately be a permanent fix.

Back