What does a DIS Module do when it goes bad??

When mine went out, check engine light came on and it ran really rough.
It had no power also. What happened is the DIS dropped the signal to one of the coil packs so it dropped 2 cylinders. I'm sure there are other ways it goes bad, but that's what happened to mine.

Yes it would cause it to idle bad and stall on start up. Check your codes for more detail.

Last edited:
same symptoms as blackbird...and it actually happened two times, in two different DIS's so i think those are the most common symptoms

Before chucking your DIS and buying a new one, try cleaning it first. Remove it, clean the bottom of the DIS and the mounting plate, apply a thin layer of heat sink compoud (Radio Shack sells it for a few $), clean the contacts with alcohol and cotton swabs ( be careful if you use the spray contact cleaner- I used it on the TPS and it shorted it out), apply a thin layer of dialectric grease to the contacts and see if there is any improvement.

Mine started acting up and after the above steps the problems went away!

How much did a new DIS cost for you guys and where did you get it? mine just went and the mechanic wants to charge me over $300 for a new one.

oxygen822 said:
How much did a new DIS cost for you guys and where did you get it? mine just went and the mechanic wants to charge me over $300 for a new one.
Tooo much. They run around $120-$150 and take about 10 minutes to install. You can do it yourself. Be sure to get some heatsink grease and use a razor thin layer of it on the back of the DIS plate. Most all parts stores should carry them. You can check out Autozone and PartsAmerica online also.

Mine also exhibited the same symptoms as BlckOnBlckBrd.

Mechanic said two dead cylinders. Replaced DIS and one dead cylinder came back. Replaced coil pack and is now running on all cylinders.

Do a search for "IC 38" (Ign Coil) and "TP502" (Ign Module) on http://www.napaonline.com and you will see the prices are in the range that TbirdSCFan mentions. Add the markup that the shop will charge, plus labor and the quote you were given is unfortunately, realistic.

Hey, if you have the time and the bandwidth to fix it yourself, go for it. I have neither, plus it bums me out when I make a wrong guess on an electrical part.

Good Luck

Hey, I just replaced my DIS two days ago and my car is running like a champ. My car would have the tach die and stall at a stop. It also ran like crap. The new DIS cost me 100 dallors at AUTO ZONE, actually Discout Auto. They matched there price and had it in stock. Well I hope this helped. God Bless.

DIS and weird electrical problem

Would bad ground on the DIS cause strobing or pulsation of exterior and interior lights when engine is running?

or would it be isolated to the problems listed in this post?

thanks
Irv

Re: DIS and weird electrical problem

iaragon said:
Would bad ground on the DIS cause strobing or pulsation of exterior and interior lights when engine is running?

or would it be isolated to the problems listed in this post?

thanks
Irv
Doubtful. But dirty battery clamps could. Clean the clamps and posts with steel wool even if they already look clean and tighten securely but not overly tight. Be sure the ground straps going from the engine mounts to the frame are secure. Your problem could also be with the ignition switch; see if jiggling the key with the engine running makes any difference. It could also be the alternator is on its way out.

Back