somethign wrong when drving on highway

stephens89sc

ok i just installed new tie rod ends and new halfshafts in the back, along with 3.55 gears anyways when im driving on the highway the car seems to drift where it wants on the highway, like i know i have to get my alignment done cause it pulls to one side but its not that thats the problem, i can feel the whole car front and back moving like im goin sideways almost its a scary feeling cause the steering wheel isnt moving either it stays in the same position when this is happening.... and also this doesnt happen all the time its wierd like i can go for a highway drive and it will happen for the first 5 min and then stop or i can go for another highway drive and it wont happen at all....

any ideas guys ????

Could be a bad wheel bearing or a loose axel nut.

Mine would randomly wander when the bearing in the right rear was going out.

RichM

Did you replace the wheel nuts? I am not sure about the fronts but I know the ones in the back are a one time use only nut that has to be replaced everytime it comes off or else they just get loose again.

Did you use brand new axle nuts? Did you torque the new nuts to 250 lb. ft.? From the sound of your post, it seems like you've had the front hub nuts off as well. The new nuts cost me about $8.CDN each, you can not reuse them, they will not hold the torque a second time.
I would get 4 new nuts from Ford, take them and the car to an alignment shop, have them check the bearings and install the new nuts to 250 lb ft. spec.
Good luck

yes i replaced the axle nuts but i had a problem with the back nuts.... i have a 3/4" drive socket set but the socket that i have isnt deep enough to tighen the rear bolts so they werent tightened to 250 tourqe .....

the fronts were tightend at a full 250 cause the length of the bolt that the nut goes onto is different (shorter)

im 99% sure that the front is fine cause i did the front tie rod ends and drove it for a week and it was fine... as soon as i did the diff, and halfshafts this started so im guessing the back is the problem

how the hell to i find out what the problem is ? would tightengin the rear axle nuts fix this ?

Getting the torque to spec may fix it, but if it has gone too far, you may have to get new bearings for the back, and that would mean another pair of new axle nuts.
You could raise the back wheels off the ground and see if there is any play (top to bottom, side to side, front to back).
Find someone with the right tools to torque them for you, it not something you can guess about, Ford may even do it for you.
Good luck

#1 Front Axle/bearing nuts?? why did you remove or replace them?? Maybe i'm confused here...

#2.. i've had BRAND NEW ford rear axle nuts come loose, even torques correctly.. and personally right now.. i have to retorque them once in awhile.. even tossed the Removal strenth thread locker on them too.. (YES nuts were clean and same with the threads on the axles, I'm not THAT stupid, just stupid enough to have bought a MN12 :) )

#3.. Checking the bearings, since i have this i've replaced 3 on my OWN car so far.. depending on how bad the bearing is.. you'll hear `knocking'/`thunking' type of noise over bumps and rough roads coming from the back (ALOT of people say you'll hear squeeling, ect (yah know metal-on-metal type of noises.. 3 bearings later.. have YET to hear such noise myself, and my car isn't THAT loud) Also just jack up the back end and grab the wheel and `wiggle' it Up down, side to side there should be NO!! play at all.. also give the wheel a spin, and listen for any grinding of sand type of noise.. or even a marble type noise...

#4 the socket is CHEAP man.. I even bought myself one (mostly becuase i ALWAYS have to recheck them.. just need a 24-36" 1/2 breacker bar and i'm set :)

#5 Also did you retighten the Knuckle bolts the same left side and right side??

#6 Does it feel like you car is `turning' fromt he front or the rear?

#7 does it do it at the same spots on the highway and nearly the same speed?

#8 Heh i never changed 1/2 shafts (YET!) but i rebuilt the front suspension, Lowered my car, ect and with a quicky alignment in my parents garage my car tracked good, the steering wheel was straight, ect.. when i took it to the alignment shop the guy said he never really had to touch anything :) To bad i DID want like some negitive camaber thou.. like 3/4 in the front, 1/2 in the rear...

the front axle nuts were replaced a long time ago when a had to replace broken studs.... that was a year ago now so im not concerned about the front and ya it feels like the back of the car is turning

stephens89sc said:
how do i tell if its the bering

I could tell by shaking the rear wheel, there was a lot of play. By just grabbing the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock positions I could pull back and forth and feel the wheel and hub move.:eek: But my wheel bearing was shot and I do mean SHOT.

Ended up costing me over 800 bucks at the dealer because the outer bearing race was stuck in the hub and the dealer's mechanics took a cold chisle to the hub shoulder, I have since never gone to that dealer.

heh my 1st bearing, it either seized for abit or something, 'cuase the hub had like a 1/16th of a inch grove where the bearing race rides :) Usually I just replace the whole knuckle from a wrecker.. it's cheaper $125 exchange (well i just give them my old one since like i care for it:) )

i really do not recall, but i do not remember my car wondering when the rear bearing(s) went (had 2 rights go and a left)

But if your gonna try to replace them yourself.. and they are bad.. just get a new hub, bearing, and seal...

Back