cutting stock air meter? How?

Mark B. White

I just read an article on MN12 performance and it was on cutting the stock air meter out. I have a 94 SC so it has a 70mm stock air meter. In the article, they cut the center bridge out of it which sounds like a good idea because 70mm isn't a bad size if it didn't have that big brace in the middle of it. But what I don't understand is once they had it all cut out up to the stock sample tube, they drilled the hole in the tube out! and left the tube backing plate off!! Is this the correct way to do this, I am staying with the same size injectors so why would I have to drill the tube out? and should I leave the backing plate off? It just sounded like a cheap and easy way to pick up some air and some ponies but I want to do it right because I obviously can't afford an air meter or I wouldn't be bothering! thanx for any help!!!

That idea came from one of the Mustang magazine articles years ago. I tried it on my '94 some time back and the car ran way too rich. I have the 73 mm C&L (Vortech) on my '93 and the 75mm plastic Bullet (Pro-M) on my '94 - both are proven & work well.

i did that mod to my 89 it runs great i cut the bridge out of the middle then drilled out the hole slightly there is an article with pics somewhere on the forums , mine ran much better after i drilled out the hole . seemed leaner or less power before i drilled it out

Last edited:
MAF mod

I did it on my 89 a few years ago and thought it was a waste of time and money so I bought a Pro M 77 and that was a real kick in the pants.

Back