Flowmaster Cat-back? Good enough?

Mark B. White

I have a 94 5 speed SC, it has a k&n and a removed air silencer, and a ripper shifter. MY next upgrade will be the exhaust. I'm going to eliminate the cats and was planning on going with the flowmaster kit with the flowmaster resonator. I've always used flowmaster stuff on me and my friends stangs but I read on supercoupe performance that the flowmaster kit for the SC's really isn't very good. I don't plan on doing any major mods, all i'm going to do is : Mac cold air, 76 C&L air meter, 70mm THrottle body, and maybe a 5% pulley. I also am installing a set of 3.27's that are already purchased. Will the flowmaster kit be enough for the mods that I have planned?? (After the cats are gone of course!:D )

What kind of sound do you get when you remove the cats and add a flowmaster resonator and mufflers? Does it sound better than other name brands?

ive got gutted cats with the flowmaster resonator/exhaust.
when you first put on teh flowmasters, it will sound metallic, but they break in and gett really deep after awhile. as for sounding like a stang... the exhaust is actually pretty quiet. it's not all that loud. the tone *almost* sounds like a v-8, but not quite. it's kinda hard to explain. over thanksgiving break a few of my buddies are gonna get together and make some vids of our cars. ill try to get a clip of my car's exhaust so you can hear it for yourself.

andrew:cool:

Mark - I have the Flowmaster Force 2 on my '93 - 5 speed & '94 - auto. It's fairly quiet with a bit of a 'throb' when you open up. For modest mods. it's good enough.
However you might want to consider SCP's alternate 2.5" Magnaflow (I think that's what it's called) system, for a couple of reasons:-
1). When your Flowmaster mufflers go, you can't just replace them, you have to buy the whole rear section (about $280.00) and, you also can't install other muffler brands, because the pipes are specifically designed for Flowmaster's side entry mufflers.
2). Flowmaster's resonator is long & heavy and, on mine it keeps bottoming out on the small cross-brace. You can weld the system of course, but that can be a problem if you ever need to easily drop the trans. or the fuel tank.

I have to say though, the Flowmaster is very easy to install, you just have to cut the downpipes. I also tried it without the resonator (with the stock cats & Y pipe on the 5 speed) and it was way to noisey inside the car.

Hope that helps,
Jim.

Back