PDA

View Full Version : K&N conical vs. air box w/K&N????

Mark B. White
11-23-2003, 11:03 PM
Eventually, my car will have the mac cold air kit, but right now it has a removed silencer and a K&N panel filter in the stock air box. This helped out tremendously, it added almost 2lbs of boost. I have a big K&N conical filter laying around at my house, it came off of my stang, Will this help my car?? Will it be better than what i have now?? I always heard the air box with a K&N was better because it wasn't breathing hot engine air!! But the conical filter would look better and I recently heard that it added horse power over my current setup. All I care about is performance, appearance comes second and I'm on a college budget!:(

Darkside
11-24-2003, 12:14 AM
From what I have read they're are many different opinions on this subject. Some will say that the K&N in the airbox is good enough and that the 180 bucks for the MAC CIA isn't justified by the performance gained. I think it is mostly used because it looks better. If you think about it what is the MAC giving you that the stock airbox isn't? Not a whole lot. As far as having a conical filter in your engine compartment I can't see that as being better either because of the heat. Spend the money on a set of gears or something else, it will do more for you. Unless you like the look it gives you, it is pretty tempting.:D

pearl95sc
11-24-2003, 01:06 AM
Go to the hardware store, buy a 90 degree peice of pvc pipe equal to the inlet on the k&n and a silicone hose connector to connect the elbow to the maf. Drop the cone in the lower bumper area, and woila, you just made your own mac cold air kit. You'll also notice a deaper moan/whine from the car. Mine alway sounded like a retarded kid moaning, saying oooooooooooohhhhhhh into the intake. I had the 6in by 9 in cone with my old setup, and I had to cut about 2 inches off the stock tube, and squeeze the maf into it, not easy. And I went to home depot, bought a peice of ductwork and sprayed it with rubberized coating and trimmed it into a heat sheild for the cone. Worked well. Either of these suggestions will work great, just a matter if you like the whole bling thing under the hood.

livn
11-24-2003, 12:56 PM
i would go with abs pipe, pvc is ugly gray, abs is the black pipe

Jimmy 2Coupes
11-24-2003, 05:27 PM
You already have everything you need except a big clamp to mount you concial filter under your stock air box where the silencer was. Take the short black tube with the 90 degree angle thats in your air silencer out and mount the conical filter on the end with a big clamp. Here's what it will look like.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/air-filter-kit/afk-pic8.JPG

Then mount the tube back up to the bottom of your stock air box. It'll look like this.

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/air-filter-kit/afk-pic9.JPG

Then take an old panel filter and cut the filter part out leaving the rubber ring to seal the air box. I have this setup on both of my SC's and it works very good. :)

1BADSC
11-24-2003, 09:31 PM
That sounds like a really good idea Jimmy, why haven't you shared this before?

pearl95sc
11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
That's the mn12 performance intake kit idea. You gotta use some weatherstripping to seal the factory airbox, making it a dummy box while the filter is below.

Aaron Pedroza
11-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Had mine like that for a couple of years now. I have run 13.60's but will be at least in low 13's now.

CaifanSC
11-25-2003, 12:53 PM
HOLLY CRAP...Jimmy, so you are saying that the black piece that in your picture is attached to the filter is part of the stock trashy air silencer that we remove? If so, then that would be the BEST bang-for-the-buck mod yet. All you would really need is a filter. That is actually the same thing that the mn12 performance kit comes with, but its like $80 or something like that. Plus, you get to keep stock appearance. NICE

J57ltr
11-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by pearl95sc
That's the mn12 performance intake kit idea. You gotta use some weatherstripping to seal the factory airbox, making it a dummy box while the filter is below.

Or just cut the paper and mesh out of the old filter element.

I have used a 7" cone filter on the MAF, the 7" on the end of the silencer (as described above) and the K&N panel filter with the silencer tube removed. And with the silencer tube reinstalled with dryer duct up to the fog light hole.

I'm partial to any of the above with the exception of the cone on the MAF. I did notice a big difference on hot days with the cone filter on the MAF, and it wasn't good.

Jeff