PDA

View Full Version : major cooling leak

Billabong089
11-24-2003, 02:29 PM
I'm having a lot of coolant leaking down and making nice puddles in my driveway, heres what I can tell, radiator, upper and lower rad hose fine....

Its leaking down by the powersteering lines, like that front part of the engine, and its a nice good leak, I can't see anything and I dont know how to find this leak lol..

Any help!!!?

Ken Seegers
11-24-2003, 02:38 PM
Did you check the coolant lines into the oil cooler???
Later
Ken

vancouverBC
11-24-2003, 02:39 PM
Its most likely your water pump that is going south and leaks under the pulley to warn you. Good luck

NJTBIRD89
11-24-2003, 05:03 PM
I think you should check the water pump and the oil cooler

those hoses might be loose or you need to replace the pump

Billabong089
11-24-2003, 10:53 PM
the waterpump can leak that bad? I'm talkin like major leak lol.

Doug Franklin
11-25-2003, 12:56 AM
Fill it full and stick finger under the wp snout. I have had leaks on everything at one time or another including the oil cooling hosses. Probably WP as they get worse. Starts slow then it is like a flood sometimes.

I have an 89 that leaks on front corner HG on drivers side as well as WP. Also it puts water in the oil. So rebuild that engine.

Billabong089
11-25-2003, 10:14 PM
ok thanks, is there any ways I can check for waterpump failure? Like what are ways to test and crap...

I can take the belt off and see if the shaft is loose or something.. any other ideas...

Billabong089
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
I took the belts off, no play in the waterpump shaft ,etc, I tried to feel under the waterpump, it seems dry... :-/

Where could this leak be coming from? Its a leak lol, I went up the road and you can see the trail of antifreeze/coolant :-/

Its dripping is leaking down and coming down by that little ledge where the powersteering hoses are on and the oil filter is around there.. that area.... but its also coming from other spots, but the main spot is that especially when I first turn the engine on.. :-/

Argh I dont know I think the waterpump is fine, thats my feeling.

vancouverBC
11-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Is the bleeder on top by the temp sensor scewed in firmly? The only other thing near the spot you mentioned is the lower rad hose, t-stat, and the water pump. You may need to go to a rad shop or anyone that can pressure test it. They put about 20psi of pressure at the rad cap and coolant will come out without having the engine running. Good luck

Billabong089
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
yea I'm going to have to now... :-/ argh $70 down the hole again... or how much they charge lol

vancouverBC
11-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Not much, it only takes 5 or 10 minutes and its real easy. They just remove the rad cap, screw on their cap, and pump it a few times, the pressure is supposed to hold steady but your leak will show up and the pressure will drop. Don't sweat the small stuff, they may even lend you one at AutoZone or a place like that. But if you want to talk about money, let it go without fixing it, that could cost you an engine because 3.8s hate to be overheated.
Good luck

MIKE 38sc
11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
You can borrow the tool from Autozone. Like VancouverBC said its real easy to do and the best part is you do it without the engine running so all you do is pump it up and look for water leaking, you'll find it.;)

Deep6
11-26-2003, 08:53 PM
The timing cover gasket. You might want to check for that too.

rlong
11-26-2003, 09:04 PM
im guessing thermostat gasket if waterpump is ok

Billabong089
11-26-2003, 11:10 PM
thermostat looks fine, is the timing cover gasket pricey anyway to see if its leaking out of the timing cover? Jack the car up? anything becuase its cold out I dont really want to do any of these repairs myself...

MIKE 38sc
11-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Bill the test that VancouverBC and I suggested will produce the leak in the cooling system right before your eyes! There is nothing easier to use to find the problem. If you can remove the radiator cap and install one you can do this with NO problem at all. Once you pump the pressure up the leak will start spraying or running water out of the leak right before your eyes.
It dont get no simpler than that.

Billabong089
11-27-2003, 03:43 PM
yea thanks, I dont have this tool, and there is no autozones around my area, Im goin to a mechanic and they can tell me every single lil problem...

To the left of the waterpump and above the crankshaft pulley, there is disguisting oil gunk, its just gunk, thick gunk lol... is that where the timing cover is? I hope I dont need a new gasket, I dont want to attempt that lol.. .but I guess I'll find out so I'm going to stop speculating.

MIKE 38sc
11-27-2003, 03:48 PM
That big cover that the cam sensor and water pump are bolted to is the timimg cover. The crank shaft also sticks out of the front of it. Hell I thought Autozones were everywhere LOL!!!!!

Billabong089
11-27-2003, 03:56 PM
I wish, the closest one to me is about an hour away :-)

MIKE 38sc
11-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Maybe another chain auto parts store that is close to you loans tools as well. Worth making a few phone calls to see.