Need help w/ codes 45,46,48 on 89 SC

SuperChicken89

I need some help with my 89 SC, which is giving me some minor problems. But first some back ground. My 89 SC has 90,000 miles and is only driven about 1,000 miles per year anymore. It resides in the garage and never sees anything but sunny days.
Over the last 2-3 years every once and a while it will idle rough and stall when warming it up for a Sunday drive. It seems once it has reached normal operating temp. this condition will no longer occur. Also at the time when this occurs I don't get any check engine lights, no up shift light, and no problems with the tach. I have pulled codes twice over the last 12 months and both times I got the same codes 45, 46, and 48.
Code 45 is "DIS coil pack 3 circuit failure or coil 1 primary circuit failure"
Code 46 is "DIS coil pack 1 circuit failure or coil 2 primary circuit failure"
Code 48 is "Loss of IDM left side (or DIS coil pack 2 circuit failure depending on which code chart you look this info up on)".
I'm not real sure which component in the ignition system is failing. Could it be the Coil Pack or the DIS module?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!:)

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

My money is on your DIS module due to similiar symptoms when I had DIS module failure on my 90. Also your codes indicate DIS module or coil, however coil failure is relatively rare. You might try this before you lay down cash for a module. Remove the module, clean the mating surface of module and mounting surface of the bracket real good with solvent. Evenly lay a thin coating of heat sink grease on the surface and reinstall. The bracket is supposed to help remove heat generated by the module and needs the heat sink grease to help conduct. What happens is after time the grease dries up and is no longer effective. Only use heat sink grease obtainable at computer supply sources, DO NOT use common dialectic grease. I have used Radio Shack product with good success. It may be too late for your module, but it's worth a try. Good luck, John

John....Thanks for the reply. I pretty much figured it was either the DIS or the Coil pack also. Just looking for additional input from others that may have experienced the same codes. I haven't tries to clean the connectors and remount it with fresh dielectric grease as you suggest as of yet. I will try that next. My buddy who is a Ford mechanic thought it may be a bad/loose connection.
Again....thanks

Bryan

Back