question about Accumulator

ShawnSC1

When ever I turn the key before starting or turn engine off. I get a sound from the accumulator area. Is this a sign that its going. Also I have no brake light on. When it does go. Will that effect my brakes.

hey shawn, to test the accumulator pump the brakes until the lights come on in the dash, I can't rmember exactly how many it takes to tell if it's ok, but the more the better, i think it's around 10, I had to replace mine cuz the lights came on after 3-4 pumps.

hope that helps.

Ya I did that, and the brake lights came on after 5 pumps. If this device goes, completly. What can happen? I wish I just had a basic master cylinder LOL..

If your ABS accumulator goes, you won't have ABS but still have regular braking.

If I am wrong, someone please chip in.

I believe if you lose pressure in the accumulator you have no brakes......

Thats why you need to have a good accumulator. Also the pump motor can go bad too. I read where a weak accumulator can lead to pump motor failure since it can run too often and overheat.

No expert at all. Recently changed my accumulator and the brakes work great. Takes just a few seconds after starting the car for the system to charge and lights to go off.

Search on the topic. a number of experts who have shared how the system works. Test procedures and failure modes with solutions.

So if the accumulator goes on you, when you are driving. You will then not be able to stop.

My brakes work fine, but like I said. When I shut the car off it sounds like theres air pressure escaping. When I turn the key in on postion, it sounds like a bad motor sound. But no brake lights come on when running, or driving.

I guess a few others had problems with this. So I will look back and do some research. Thanks

Ohhh boy... Lets clarify a few things.. the only time the lights should come on is when you first turn the key to the run position. They should both go out within a minute and then as long as you have the key on (while driving or otherwise), they should never light up again. If you are hearing the pump run occasionally and then shut off, that is OK. If you hear the pump run and the lights flash on/off, then you have a worn out accumulator.
You will be fine for a while, but you will have no ABS and as time goes on, eventually you will lose power brakes and the car will be hard to stop. When the lights come on with every application of the brakes, your time is short.

Back