IC tube install question

metalman

I think I put the cart before the horse on this one.

I'm installing my rebuilt engine-everything minus the t-body, plenum, sc, and IC tubes.

In putting in the IC-to-lower intake tube. Should I have done that before getting the motor?

Can I shimy it in place w/ motor installed or do I have to jack up the driver side of the engine by taking off the motor mount?

I'm screwed I know I am, right? :(

Metalman

You shouldn't have to jack up the engine to install the lower tube. I have had mine off several times (for various reasons) and have never had to jack the engine to get it on or off.

Sometimes the bolts that it mounts to can get in the way. Took about 30 min of cussin to realize that.

If you don't have the power steering/alternator mounting bracket installed it should go in without a problem. If they are installed the bracket must be loosened and moved forward a couple inches to provide enough clearance to snake the lower IC tube in.

David

David, I noticed in a another post you had talked about your old ic tubes being ported. Who did the porting and how much did it help/cost. Just curious if it is a worthwile mod, or just do the mp front mount.

I bought them from ESM...did it help ? I can't really say because I did them along with a new race engine. Probably helped some, but they still had the same tight bends and picked up lots of heat from the exhaust.

I think you would gain more by wrapping the stock lower tube with some type of heat insulating/reflecting material similar to header wrap. I do like the tube routing on the MP much better, it stays way cooler and I'm sure it flows better too.

David

I applied header wrap to the lower tube, and was debating if porting them would be woth the hassle.

Back