Engine oil cooler

tim

In my quest to get junk off the engine I would like to convert the engine oil cooler over to a air type front mount. Any sugestions on a kit. Thanks Tim

engine oil cooler

Well I am going to figure something. I just dont like the stock setup.

Tim, If you come up with something on this, fill me in. I thought about ditching the entire stock oil cooler, and running a remote oil filter kit. I figured the only benefit would be making the filter easier to change. Let me know what you come up with. Alyn.

I'm planning on doing this myself as well. I dont really see a problem with doing it. There are ports on the remote filter housing that you can run lines to an air oil cooler. Should be pretty straightforward and simple.

You could use a transmission oil cooler that is available at any auto parts store. I picked one up and have it temporarily installed near the air intake cause mine broke... i know, i know, terrible spot, but i was at college, in 20 degree weather, trying to get this installed at night... when i get it running again i'll take it to my buddy's house where i can get it inside and relocate the cooler. If you find a good place to mount it let me know.

Pat

I haven't looked to see if there would be enough room.But do you think
you can just screw the oilcooler off. and screw a oil filter in place of the cooler.
And then replace the two coolent lines going to the oil cooler with a new
longer heater hose that will go to the fire wall,from the water pump.

That thought crossed my mind, but it still sits in that pain in the *** spot, that lets oil get everywhere.

peal95sc .your right in would be better with a remote filter.
I just thought I would list the cheapest way.

If i would go to a air to air oil cooler,I would add a thermostat for the winter.

On the lip on the k-member that catches all the oil when you remove the oil filter
in the stock location.I drilled a hole in the k-member lip so oil would drain out of
the lip.

Last edited:
I found a much easier way to avoid the oil spilling all down the sub-frame & hoses. On earlier models it was worse, because you didn't even have that center drip; so it ran right around the frame lip and dripped off both ends (what a mess).
What you do is get a front plastic page (8.1/2"x11") from one of those presentation binders (find the cheapest one at Staples); the thicker & stiffer the better. Loosen the filter a little (enough to start turning it by hand) slide the plastic sheet up behind the oil cooler assembly (diagonally). Unscrew the filter and let the oil run down the sheet into your oil bowl (or whatever you use).
Works like a charm.
Jim.

Ijust think there are so many water hoses the way it is to get rid of one is a good thing.

I found a much easier way to avoid the oil spilling all down the sub-frame & hoses. On earlier models it was worse, because you didn't even have that center drip; so it ran right around the frame lip and dripped off both ends (what a mess).
What you do is get a front plastic page (8.1/2"x11") from one of those presentation binders (find the cheapest one at Staples); the thicker & stiffer the better. Loosen the filter a little (enough to start turning it by hand) slide the plastic sheet up behind the oil cooler assembly (diagonally). Unscrew the filter and let the oil run down the sheet into your oil bowl (or whatever you use).
Works like a charm.
Jim.

I used a Perma Cool dual circuit cooler with 1250 CFM fan out front of my radiator. The large circuit is plumbed to the tranny (which BTW, I bypassed the radiator cooling in the tranny all together) and the small circuit cools the oil via a remote filter mount. I mounted the filter under the bumper in line with an opening under the bumper cover to allow easy filter changes. The oil lines are braided -8.

Paul

Back