How good are G-Meters

My friend bought a Beltronics Vector FX1. It's almost identical to the g-meter. costed about $150. Works excellent. We passed it around in our group of cars, and so far, it's shown itself to be pretty useful. I gives you a 60ft., mph @10,20,30,40,etc. 1/8mi, 1/4mi, lateral G on takeoff, stopping, and cornering. Overall, very usefull. I'd recommend one.

i have a g-tech form e bay @ 39 , i tried it today with blower bearings shot, bad launch, bad motor mounts(small collision) , bad spark plugs wires and rattling exhaust + my mods i managed a 0-60 in 7.07 seconds.

Always to remember that the unit must be level (the first one, the second one is 3 axis, so it's pretty much self compensating. You must always make a minimum of 3-5 passes and average the runs and use that number as your time you state.

All and all They are good units and are accurate for what they are intended to do.

I have one of the older ones and want to get a new one with the abaility yo download runs and such.

Jeff

if the suction cup has given out and fallen to the floor too many times it will damage the gtec. My friend had one (G-tek) and said it fell a lot. well, his moostang runs a 14.03 in the quarter. My friends 65 impalla WAY out runs him, and somehow without wheel spin, we ran a 14.5. With my dad's friends new unit (not gtek pro, just a new unit) his impalla ran a 13.3. 1998 Vette, 5.13 0-60, 13.58 quarter at 110 MPH (which sounds high). My 90 SC ran a 6.5 0-60 with a best quarter of 15.3. My best eighth mile run at a track is a 9.6. With this gtek, i also did horsepower and got within 3 HP of my dyno from two days previous. I had the EXACT weight, no guestimations either. Anyway, if you wanted one for real proformance numbers, go with a brand new one. On ebay, the previous owner could have been a clumsy dumb@@@.

One other thing to remember is that the Gtech tells you the MPH as you cross the “finish line” a track it is averaged over the last 60’ that is why the Gtech is always higher.

Jeff

The excuse that the mph is averaged out over the last 60ft resulting in the high mph makes no sense to me.there is no way an average street car is going to accelerate an additional 5mph in the last 60ft,creating the hi mph reading.

You are not understanding the statment, there isn't an escuse only Facts.

G-tech= Measurment of MPH is stopped AT the EXACT point the 1/4 mile "line" is crossed.

This is why the Gtech always shows higher MPH.

Track= During the last 60' there are sensors (the track doesn't only have a "start" and "stop" sensor. there are many), that track the time it takes inputs at each point along the way. The last few sensors are then used to calculate (average the speed).

This is why the track always shows lower MPH.

It's obvious to me you haven't done any math on the acceleration over the last 60'. Get your calculator out.

I do a lot of PLC programming and could whip out a program for a Drag strip in a day, it's a piece of cake. In fact I would be willing to bet at some point that's exactly what was used. Probably done on computer now.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff,I did use my calculator which is why Im having a hard time coming up with a reasonable explanation why G-Techs consistently show the trap speed about 4-5 mph too high.Assuming the car is travelling 90mph entering the last 60ft,that works out to 132 ft/sec.Which means the 60ft would be covered in .45sec.I dont know of any regular street car that is capable of accelerating 4mph in .45sec. once it gets up to 90-100mph.If there is some other aspect that Im overlooking,I would appreciate being enlightened.

Back