Speedodometer Problem

SC-71 TBIRD

Hello All,

Basicly my speedodometer is not working. The question is, does the speed sensor on the transmission controls the speedodometer inputs? If it does how difficult it is to get to this sensor? Every now and then the needle will spike and I am not sure what the problem is. So before I go a purchase a new cluster gauge I need to know if the sensor can be the problem also. Any input will be appreciated.

mine quits once in a while mostly when real cold out ,
i tap the dash and it goes back on i think its loose where it mounts behind dash but never looked yet
. yes speed sensor in tranny controls speedo its easy to get to.if the tranny sensor is bad the speed sensitive steering wont work either , it will have full assist all the time and its to touchy at hiway speeds

Last edited:
try this, might save you some money

i have a 91 sc, and i am building it up a lil right now and i ttok apart the dash cause my needle on the speedo was sticking too, and i was looking in there and there was a lil piece of paper stuck in there, it was a label of some sort, and i have another friend who has a 91 poop coupe (n/a v6), and he said that happened to his too, not sure if its common, but hey it could save you some money, if you do try it let me know. hope i could help

p.s. when mine stuck i just tapped it, and it went to the normal speed

yes the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) runs inline to the speedo and goes to the computer. i learned that doing my custom gauge cluster... Alex LaChance

Back