Now honestly...Would I be insane if I do this?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
This is relating to my blown hg's on the 89 automatic. it currently has over 220k miles on the original engine and to my knowledge, no rebuilds. Now, what i SHOULD do is replace hg's and do a rebuild, but the problem is money. Its been sitting for quite a while and Im simply tired of seeing it lay around, so here is where I want your honest opinions. Im thinking just screwing the rebuild for a while and just replacing the hg's & headbolts, and if there is money, having the heads checked & port n polished. I came to this conclusion b/c i still need to do a blower snout rebuild on it, and fix a few electrical bugs on the 94 and getting it shocks and tires. And besides, the 94 is heading for its 150k miles, so i'd like to have at least one as back up. Enginewise, the 89 still felt pretty strong regardless of the milage, it just has a rattle that is coming from the supercharger, but for what I've researched most likely doing a rebuild (seals & bearings) will solve that, it also has new tires and shocks, radio, recent transmission flush & filter, plugs, wires, and all filters and belts are new. What do you guys think I should do? Is it a good idea just to simply replace the hg's? Pros & cons? Let me hear your opinions guys.

It won't take too much more work to go ahead and pull the engine. That way you can at least check the lower end and replace bearings. If you don't do it you will be tearing it apart again sooner rather than later. That's a lot of mileage to expect out of the stock lower end. Also, if any coolant got into the oil your bearings are definately shot anyway.

haha...well, see here's the thing. Once the gaskets went i took the precaution of draining the nasty gunky mix and refilled the engine with cheap oil, so i'd say bearings are not completely shot. I also understand that it would only take a bit more effort pulling the darn engine out, but like I mentioned I lack space, time and most importantly the money to do it. A nice and decent rebuild would be really close to $1000,and if I do the hg's I would only have to pay for the gaskets themselves and the headbolts (even perhaps the headwork). Do you guys really think that it would be a waste to do it?

I can post pics of rod and main bearings from an engine with 128,000 miles on them. I also have the bearings from an engine with 137,000 miles on them if you would like to see alot of shiny copper.
At those mileages the bearings were wore all the way through the babit material. The rings in both engines were stuck in there grooves from carbon as well.
Trust me that engine is not in as good a shape as you think.;)

CRAAAAP....i guess i sort of knew it, but wanted to have 'experts' confirm it. Well, i guess i better start saving...and the good ol' 89 will be sitting for a few more months. Thanx for the replies

Summit sells an overhaul kit for about 250.00 and a rebuild kit with pistons for 450.00. I would go that route. The machine work will cost about 150.00 plus the rebuild kit so for around 600.00 and some oil and anti freeze you would have a fresh eng.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Attachments

• 91 bird l front.jpg
    91 bird l front.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Cali, Im in the same boat. Actually I bought a used 90 Accord as the new beater while I prep to pull the driver side head and replace the gasket(the head possibly if there are cracks). Time, money and lack of space in the alley are the main issues.

I wish I had a garage or a smooth driveway with a shiny new hoist and engine stand but we have to work with what resources we have.

Do what you have to in order to get her runnin'. Check/Clean the block deck thouroughly and at the least take the head in and get it checked for cracks. Good luck.

If any antifreeze got in that engine at all,dont even think of not pulling the motor because you wont get 50 miles on her afterwards and it will start to knock!:D

Again, thax for the responses guys...now, i have a quick question, 85TbirdSC, you mention two rebuild kits from summit. I did a quick browse and I didnt find any of them. All i found were rebuild kits for 302 ford engines and 350 chevy. Do you have part numbers for those kits? I didnt know they were that cheap, in that case I might go that route. Also, one reason i hesitate in doing a full rebuild my self is b/c of my driveway, it is a little bit more inclined than yours (maybe not that much), but I see that in the picture you have your engine out...wouldnt that be a bit dangerous? Any tips, suggestions on what precautions to take if I was to do it in a driveway as inclined as yours?

tbird boy, I think i was luckier and actually managed to get my 94-5speed as a 'beater' while i fix my 89...only 2800 bux (gotta love frat brothers man). Once the 89 is back on the road the 94 is getting garaged.

Kits and Driveway

Summit does not list them on there web site. Don't ask me why. But if you call them those are the prices they gave me. I called twice but did not get part #'s, sorry. But it was in the last week that I called so they are good prices. I did not order one yet because I am just going to drop the good engine out of my 85 into the 91 for now. The eng has about 30-35k on it now. I am planning to biuld the eng out of the 91 next year. Port polish every thing, cam, bigger injectors etc....but that will take awhile and I want to drive the car utill it is ready. (wife, exwife, 4 kids, mortgage.......maybe this time next year)

As far as my driveway goes. It is a pretty good incline. I pulled the eng and trans together out of my 85 last friday. It was backed into the Garage. With the rear end against the back wall I had just enough room to pull the eng and trans with out getting the hoist into the driveway. Then I rolled the 85body down the incline onto a car dolly and away she went.

Last Sat I pulled the front end of the 91 into the garage, pulled the engine out, and let it roll back out past the door afterwards. Sunday I used the incline of the driveway again to load the 91 *** first on the dolly and take it to the carwash to clean the engine compartment. As long at the wheels are chalked it is safe but neither was in the driveway as I puuled the motor. I always put one up on 2 or 4 jack stands and remove the front wheels when I am pulling an engine. Just seems like it gives you more room to work. And always keep the hoist on a level surface. Never on an incline with a load. It may end up in the street or worse on my driveway.

Hope that helps,
Sean

Back