PS cooler lines high or low psi?

Jeremy_K

The rubber sections of hose are leaking on my power steering hoses going to the PS oil cooler. Are these high pressure lines? How would I go about taking them off and replacing with new hoses and clamps. Both the upper and lower hoses are leaking.

The oil cooler is on the return (low pressure) side of the system.

It is somewhat common for the SC oil pan to rub through the P/S return line if the motor mounts are collapsed or damaged.

cheers
Ed N.

Your question has been answered, but the line that runs back under the engine is the high pressure line,

Jeff

If I may hijack..

Why is there a device to cool the power steering fluid on these cars anyway? Does this in some way improve power steering performance?

It keeps the power steering fluid from being overheated, maybe because of the EVO but I'm not sure. I am guessing that in the EVO may restrict the fluid to provide less pressure to the rack to to give you less response in steering at high speeds. By metering the fluid out the pressure on the pump side is still high. Kinda like a fuel pressure regulator.

But that's my guess. I know the parts are there, but I haven't ever actually thought out how exactly the system works. Hell I have tried everything suggested on this board over the years to make it quit whining.

Jeff

thanks for the info guys. will i loose much fluid if i cut the low presure line going into the cooler? i just need to clamp a new piece of hose in there.

Just do it quickly and keep the hose as high as possible. Pinch it off if you can with something padded to not damage the hose.

Jeff

Back