Put I have one more problem..my gauges

1fastscinpa

Put I have one more problem..my gauges...SOLVED!

These POS guages are driving me crazy. The temp gauge will go to almost the far right side, but if you check the motor it is in range...and I have replaced the sensor on the thermo housing. At the same time my oil pressure guage is doing the same thing. Now my mechanic has told me that ford had voltage regulators for the instrument panel, is this true and if so where is it at? also when you turn off the car and turn the car back on, the temp guage is at "E" so I know something is SNAFU'd any help would be appreciated....BY THE HAPPY THANKSGIVING

1994 SC Auto

Last edited:
since I redid the majority of my motor, my temp gauge has been sitting in hell, and my oil pressure gauge has beeen in the danger zone. I just upgraded to aftermarket gauges. Nothin I tried seems to work.

Same here...

We had just rebuilt the motor too, all the goodies like we stroked it and we got roller rockers and headers figured she would be the cats a@#. But these darn gauges are going to drive me mad. I think in the morning I am going to stop at the ford garage and see if there is a voltage reg. for the instrument cluster, if not maybe we pinched some wires...looks like a saturday job....

I checked my harnesses in big detail before reinstalling them. I even re-loomed and taped. Used contact cleaner on the connectors, and dielectric grease. I checked everything, still no luck, who knows.

Maybe this is something, maybe not

I took the car to my friends house and both oil and temp just started a steady climb..plus my battery light came on at about 2000RPM. I had to run over to my place of work to get something from there and whole way over both while near pegged. Just before I pulled into work both guages dropped back to middle of the gauge and the battery light went away. Now my thought on this is that is it possible the alternator could be the culprit though all of this or is it a electrical gremlin.....just trying to add my pieces to the puzzle....

Also check the temp of car when it is pegged, I can hold the upper rad hose in my hand..so it aint boiling over...just a screwed up gauge....

FOUND MY PROBLEM

Well after I tore the dash out to check the connectors, we started to check all the grounds under the hood. Well we found the ground strap on the passenger side was not hooked up. Dont know how we missed this when we reinstalled the engine but we did. Now the gauges are just fine....thank god....Thanks for all the help guys....

Back