Bad Luck I guess!!!

LIL CUTT

I have a 94 T-BirdSC, and the problem started when I had this bucking problem when I was in boost mode. yeeeea boost is nice!!! But N E Ways i changed my plugs and wires and i put bosch platnium plugs which now i figured out that those are theworstplugs 4 these types of cars. But after i put the plugs and wires in the car i drove that day probley about 3 hours and i was at a gas station and i took it up to about 5,500 RPM's and then left the gas station and SC was all slow. Exspecially under boost. the car actually drops rpm's when u hit boost and every time u go into boost the exhaust manifolds glow red along with the cats. Some people said that the cats are clogged but they r not. Another person said that the timing is off so i messed around with the sycronizer thing for the timing where the cam sensor goes on top of. yea so i guess the timing is suppose to be 10 degree's btdc. checked that and it's fine. So i ended up putting autolite plugs in her and she is still doing the same thing i am clueless. Also the harmonic balancer is bent a little, or it's called a vibration dampener it wobbles, i looked in the site and read something about that throwing off the timing. But i dunno i need a car drive so if n e 1 know's n e thing please let me know. Thanks alot.

First, did you change the wires with those plugs? If not, they are very likely causing bucking. As for the red manifolds & catalytic converters, this is often a sign of clogged cats. What indicates to you that these items are not clogged? There have been instances where people have experienced similar symptoms, I believe it resulted from an extreme lean condition. In any case, certainly stop driving it until a solution is found or you will fry your headgaskets. Where there any other abnormal running symptoms, such as terrible gas mileage?

no i didn't really experience bad gas milage and i changed the wires when i put the bosch plugs in but then left thewires there and put autolite one's in there

sounds lean

if cats aren't plugged..I would look at your fuel pressure regulater [FPR] and see if the vacume/boost line... is disconnected from either the FPR or where it goes on the back of plenum to the intake manifold ...dave

Yo check it..

Ditch dem' bosch plugs. The autolite or Motorcraft will give you trouble free running. If everything else is ok.

Second, the harmonic balancer will probably need to be replaced. It CAN definatly throw off the timing. ANd under heavy load/high RPM it's wobble is increased (due to centrifugal force) and cause more problems. It can take out your crank sensor. It will bust the crank bolt and worse case scenario it will break the snout off the crank requiring a new crank....

However like the others mentioned. You have either an EXTREME lean condition which can cause the exahust manifolds to glow cherry red. You would have noticed higher than normal operating temps... or clogged exhaust system. Both situations will pop your headgaskets in short order. And then you are looking at a engine teardown.

IF there is no internal engine damage, then you should be ok in finding the problem and fixing it. I'd change the oil and oil filter for good luck though if you overheated it. Also make sure your cooling system is up to snuff too.

LILBLKT-BIRD said:
what does btdc stand for

It stand for "Before Top Dead Center" in regards to setting your timing on the engine. Basically, if the timing of a car is supposed to be 4 degrees before top dead center, that means 4 degrees before #1 cylinder is at top dead center, or full travel in the cylinder...

Make sure your O2 sensors are working properly. Having a bad one can cause a rich or lean condition. My passenger side was bad and the computer wasn't getting a reading from it I guess, started throwing more fuel to the drivers side of the motor and clogged up the cat. Ran like crap. You can get new O2s for $40-$50.

Back