Custom Front Mount

pearl95sc

I think I already know the answer, but how does this sound. I priced up the costs to construct a front mount setup. Using 2.5 in mandrel bent tubing, all chrome polished, heavy duty clamps, silicone connectors, and an intercooler measuring 9.5in tall, 31.5 end to end w/25in long core, and 3 in thick, my total came to $640. The stuff is all from eBay, and all new. The intercooler is a bar and plate style, says it was pressure tested to 35 psi, and the seller has one that's an inch taller on a turbo 350 chevy engine throwing 950hp to the wheels. I was shocked when I added the prices on everything up. The IC even has brackets on it that make for an easier installation. I know it won't be easy fitting everything in, but for the price, I think I can make it work. I measured the area on the car for the IC and there's about an inch or two to spare. I think I found my new project. Any feedback is appreciated, especially those already running custom front mounts. Later, Alyn.

Since the framerails are only 30 inches apart, you'll have some problems fitting the 31.5" wide IC anywhere on the SC.

Thats one of my projects i plan on doing next year as well... i was even thinking of putting 2 supercoupe intercoolers the long way together and cut the tanks on the mateing side, weld on some 2.5 or 3" angled piping to outside end tanks in the direction i would want to run the tubing, and then maybe polish the intercooler after.... but i wonder the max cfm i would push threw 2 like that.. and mount it like a true FMIC should be, and i also removed the condensor and all the other a/c unit as well, so i have better air flow to my rad now..(i think after people put the Magnum powers FMIC they had cooling issues i believe some, i believe because no air flow to your rad ? ) i wonder if dual SuperCoupe IC's the long way would push enough CFM or if it wouldn't be enough.. because i seen stuff on ebay nice ones but i didnt see any cfm ratings.. i seen alot of stuff on ebay.. like a racing rad full size racing one for 249 ? i as well want to use that when i get a true front mount intercooler system.. Alex LaChance

<E-Mail> SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

<AOL Instant Messenger > SuperCoupeSC91

<MSN Instant Messenger > SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

<Yahoo Instant Messenger> SuperCoupeSC91@hotmail.com

<ICQ Instant Messenger> 235944899

My Dyno Run
Pics + Video
220 RWHP (So Far)
325 RWT (So Far)
<http://www.bristoldyno.com>

My Mods + Future Mods
<http://www.tccoa.com/rides/lacale.shtml>

My Website with My Car Pics + Stuff for sale (with my new 18” ROH Azurro’s)
<http://community.webshots.com/user/supercoupe>

Went to the Phoenix auto show today... the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking that top mount with a hood scoop might be a better way to go... that way you can use substantially shorter piping...

well, If you modify an APS ic for the wrx, that would be a good start. Just put a scoop in the hood, and woila, top mount. It sounds simple, but is a for shure pain. And my front mount project has gone south for a while. Didn't win the auction for the IC. Will definately do something when money is right.

Back