ABS Brake Experts Help

BobGPz

I blew out something under the ABC assembly. Any ideas guys? My manual sucks on the brakes chapter.. I attached this picture. It is easy to see when you are under it, but this picture is as good as my Haynes Manual...but best I can do. Everything up top is dry and clean, but from underneath there is a black plastic thing connected to a painted thing (Same color paint as is the IC tubes, etc) Is this the ABS motor? Is there a seal or gasket that goes in there? It is really dumping the fluid out...:confused:

Attachments

• brake leak 1a_2.jpg
    brake leak 1a_2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 180
Hard to tell, but...

It looks like that could be the Pressure sensor/switch. Are there any wires connected to the black plastic thing? Also, are you getting any warning lights flashing on the instrument panel?

I've got some diagrams and Duffy's (the Zen Master of the Teves Mark II ABS) trouble-shooting guide if you need me to email them to you.

Hard to tell if wires on it or not without ripping apart IC tube and intake manifold out of the way. Was thinking the ABS motor bolting up to the M/C or something. Looke like I may have to pull the whole thing out too make sure. Really am not looking forward to under the dash adventure....

Those schematics would be awesome...Thanks again LJ......
My email is..
BobEdwardsJr@Juno.com

edit...Ooops, ya both the warning lights come on and stay on when I'm about 5 minutes away from being w/o any brakes.

OK. so while it is up in the air, I turned on the key to make it leak. I attached a little better close up of the suspect area. The hose that I previously posted is dry so that is ruled out.

Attachments

• picture 33_2.jpg
    picture 33_2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 157
Just can't recognize that view. Looks like it's comeing from around the area of the motor. Are you sure the accumulator is properly in the mounting port properly?

Attached is another view I found of the ABS system.

Attachments

• abspump.gif
    abspump.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 151
BINGO!

Thanks for the picture. That makes a huge difference to see what I'm looking at. I never took my Accumulator off, so I'm sure it is on properly. But I am almost positive the fluid is gushing out between the ABS motor and the part it bolts up to. I think it is rubber.

In my 2nd picture... the top arrow is pointing to the ABS motor (the grayish silver piece) and the lower arrow is pointing to whatever it hooks up to (the black piece). Awesome Mike! Thanks a bunch!:)

Now does anybody know if there is a seal or gasket that can be changed out in there or am I looking at having to purchase a new unit?

The best I can find is the R&R description for removing the pump. It references a spacer to be retained. I'm not sure how helpful it is, but you could try contacting Prior Reman and see if they are willing to talk to you about it.

Disconnect battery ground cable.
Disconnect electrical connectors from hydraulic pump motor and warning switch.
Remove accumulator, ensuring no debris falls into open port.
Position a large vacuum nipple over reservoir opening to prevent fluid loss, then disconnect suction line between reservoir and pump at pump end by twisting and pulling.
Remove banjo bolt securing pump high pressure line, Fig. 10.
Remove allen head bolt securing pump and motor assembly to extension housing, located directly under the accumulator. Retain thick spacer between extension housing and shock mount for use during installation.
Move pump toward engine, the remove assembly from retainer pin on inboard side of extension housing.
Reverse procedure to install. Torque allen head bolt to 5---7 ft. lbs., banjo bolt to 12---15 ft. lbs. and the accumulator to 30---34 ft. lbs.

Looks as that is it. It references a "Shock Mount" which I think is the rubber piece I mentioned earlier. Not a lot of room to do what it says in there so looks like I'll have to pull out the whole assembly. I think that will make it a lot easier to work on.
Appreciate the help Mike! Thanks a bunch...:)

Wow that 90 unit is different than my 90 unit. Mine does'nt have that rubber hose with banjo bolts at each end.
Mine has metal tubing with flare nuts at each end.
Beleive it or not Bob but the underdash work is the easiest part of removing the unit.

MIKE 38sc said:
Mine does'nt have that rubber hose with banjo bolts at each end. Mine has metal tubing with flare nuts at each end.

What part are you looking at in my pic? I am getting over flu and will be pulling the unit out in a day or two, I'll take a better picture when it is out of the car. Glad that the under dash will be easy as I was thinking I'd have to pull front seat out to get under there. I'm no contortionist...:D :D

Back