To fix or to scrap? -see specs-

blownsc

90 thunnderbird sc 35anny, perfect body inside and out, 67k miles on her. Many mods, BUT- blown piston ring. Should I invest the $4k in a new ford reman w/ warranty and then sell it, or part it out now. What do you guys think I could get for it? This is in California BTW
MODS:
Suspension Technique Drop springs
Flows
MAC CAI
70mm MAF
70mm TB
Port matched inlet plenem
Port matched heads
Port matched lower intake
Underdrive pullies
10% od pully on sc
IC fan
255lph Holly pump
Forgetting much more.
Anyone interested? I don't have pics yet, but I will
Kyle

personally if it were my situation I would repair the car--I think the sc will be a collector car down the road--especially the 35th
with a good original body --mechanical repairs like such are something to expect and fix
g/l
Josh

I definitely would not part it out. I have two 35th's in worse shape than your description, and there is no way that they are going to be disassembled.

*And I pay for my toys by parting out MN12's*

-Rod

Depending on what you are looking to get for it, you are probably better of not parting it out... nor fixing it... there are probably a fair number of people in California that would be very interested in purchasing the car in its entirety...

You can do better than $4k to fix it, you can get a remanufactured shortblock for around $1.5k. If you do the work yourself you can probably get it fixed for a little over $2k total.

-Travis

I was originally going to fix it myself, but it turns out i'm not going to have the time off i though I would. I goto school 100miles away from where my car is, so working on it in my spare time won't work out any more. I've priced a lot of places and most say $2300 for a reman'd block, ford says 2k. I live in the bay area and most stuff here is more expensive. I'm not sure if that's the case though for the longblocks.

Re: SC with bad engine

Do you have a place to store the car? I had my SC down for two years until I could redo my engine. I went whole hog and put about 8K in it. I know I'll never get it out but plan on driving the car for a long time.
I think if I had it to do over again, I'd buy a beater and bide my time until I found a good deal on a good engine from somebody that wrecks his SC. The difference between a good used engine and a super trick hotrod built engine is very slight. You should be able to buy a good used engine for around $500. If desired you can throw in a new set of bearings and rings and do a valve job and be into it for under $1000 for parts.
It all depends on how badly you want to keep the SC
George Clarke Danville. CA aka the SonySC@hotmail.com
925-984-3785 cell

Just don`t scrap it or part it. I run a tbird sc rescue here in IL.
I just hate to see these cars go to the crusher. Ok im nuts but I think alot of others on these boards love-hate-love these cars too
I have not seen any of these cars eat a ring in stock form. Are you sure its not leaking between cyclenders?

Back