headers, which ones to go with

aplvlydrtybird

hey i was wondering what you guys think i should run for headers....mid length are full length, any suggestions, mods are on my member page. I was thinking long tube, but if im not producing that high of nuumbers then maybe they arent right for me???

Last edited:
Long tubes will help you more if youre not a big dog.
The shorter the primary tubes the higher in RPM the powerband moves with a sacrafice in lower RPM power.

Keith,

I think your money would be better spent on the following items.

#1 76mm C&L or similar MAF
#2 38 or 42# injectors
#3 MPII reworked blower w/MP Plenum

IMO, your not getting enough air or fuel into the engine yet to need the headers. The ported manifolds your using now will flow enough to make over 325 rwhp.

David

I think that if your going to upgrade anything, you should go with the "big dog" stuff. Like Dave said, you'll be OK with your ported manifolds until you're huffing a lot more air but, if you're gonna buy headers, don't go half way, go for the gusto.

When I replaced my fuel pump, I never thought I'd need more than a 190, but now I'm wishing I'da gone with the 255.

Things change, things break, then all of a sudden your gonna want to run with the big dogs.

thanks

thanks dave, but i figure since i still have the engine and tranny out, i might as well buy headers, and not have to deal with the hassle of doing them while in the engine....correct me if i am wrong but it isnt the easiest thing i have heard. and i am going to be getting fuel injectors in the very near future, i dont plan to have it together for a lil while since it is winter time here in lovely minnesota. also i might be getting my friends 76 mm mafs, off of his 95 sc, and if that doesnt go through i will jsut get one when the money comes. beleive you me, i have been thinking about it all, or most of it from what i can understand about these cars, and the MP ported blower is on the list for next winter! but i wanted to get headers so i figured i would ask wether or not to go with the long tubes or mid length, but i might as well just go with the long tubes. thanks for the advice

Keith,

If your going to get the headers, you might as well get the long tubes because like you said, It will be a pain to change them later. I've got the mid lengths now, and will most likely keep them because the expected power gains aren't enough to justify the cost and hassel of changing to the longtubes, and they seem to work well with my cam.

BTW, the sealing flanges are better on the longtubes. You get a 3 bolt flange instead of that ball and socket crap that comes on the mid length headers.

David

cool, well thanks for the advice dave, i was just making sure that i wasnt going to flow too much with not enough power but i think i got the answer i was looking for, thanks again sc guys.

Back