1200 rpm deadspot...WTF?

Mike Manzo

I think its the harmonic again, but Im not entirely sure. At or around 1200rpms (tach) the engine all but dies suddenly, but only for a split instant...

Just a "blip" and its back. It happens no other time at any other RPM.

Now, seeing that I have broken a balancer on this car already, I was thinking it had something to do with the new one? Or the new one could already be on it's way out and the 1200rpm range is the exact frequency of vibration or wobble to misfire the (new) crank sensor.

I have experienced electrical oddities with high-CCA batteries in the past. I ran a 1000CCA in the car and until it was changed to a stock battery, the car would all of a sudden "reset" like if you just turned the key.

I am running an Optima Yellow Top right now and unfortunately the harmonic replacement and battery swap took place at about the same time. I know I could get another battery and see if this happens, but I would rather bounce it off here before I go out and buy a second battery for mere testing.

It's annoying and doesnt happen EVERY DAY, just when u land at that perfect RPM which is only usually when coming to a stop sometimes.

Thanks

any codes

does the car throw any codes, i had that tach problem where it turns off and turns back on, it was ignition related, (dis, cam sens, or crank sens)

Back