I need help on a new engine break in

metalman

So, I've rebuilt my '90 SC- New piston rings, cam and main bearings and valve stem seals, etc, etc.

What is the correct procedure of breaking my motor?

Thanks,
Metalman

i know a couple of things

you wanna make sure you dont drive at any given speed, like dont highway drive, the rings will set in funny. another thing i have heard, is to go up to about 50 and then engine brake(donwshift using no brake) til like 30, just to break in the rings. And I've heard if you baby her, shes goona wanna go slow, dont reline her but go up to a certain rpm fast in each gear. im sure theres more, try a search on this subject too, i am sure one of the big dogs, like XR7 Dave or Dave Neibert, those guys know there s..., but there has probably been a thread on this before so check it out or wait.

My uncle used to build race engines, and he told me a few things...

1)Dont fill up your radiator with antifreeze at first, because if anything was damaged, it eats gaskets, use water

2)When you first fill it up with oil use normal (non-synthetic) oil and leave it in for about 100 miles because "the cleanest rag is still dirtier than the dirtiest finger" then change it and put in normal oil again. You can now put coolant in the radiator.

3)After about 500 to 1,000 miles, depending on your choice, you can change the oil to a synthetic blend.

4)The whole time time you are doing this, don't push the car too hard or things will break in wrong and sit funny.

I'm sure you probobly dont have to be this meticulous, but thats what he told me from experience, and thats what im doing on my car.

Back