17 vs 18 inch wheel ?

MartianBob

Hey everyone,

I'm about to upgrade in the wheel department. Currently running 245-50-16 BFG's on the stock rims. Rides great compared to stock tire size.

How much better does the ride get with bigger wheels. I'm debating between 17 x 9's or 18 x 9's.

My car is not lowered right now (I know it looks like a 4x4), but I'll lower it someday.

Other than price and wieght, what are the downsides of the 18 inch wheel. Does the 18 handle much better than a 17?

I have read through many posts and have not seen much comparison of the two wheel sizes.

I'm not interested in drag racing. My daily commute is essentially a 15 mile road course with 65 mph top speeds.

Also, how bout tire sizes with regards to handling only.

Anyone with an opinion please chime in.
Cheers
Bob

The ride is generally going to get worse with larger diameter wheels, because you will have a shorter sidewall to end up with a similar overall tire diameter. Shorter tire = less flex. This is why, again generally speaking, 18" will outhandle 17", because a less flexible tire sidewall will help you generate more cornering power.

For your intended usage, I'd suggest finding the wheels you like, whatever size they are available in, and go with some stock diameter tires, like 245-50-17, or 245-45-18.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Back