weird front axle vibrate/slow to accerate/plz help

nutopia

Hello again,

I've got another small problem with my 1993 LX (again, I know this is the sccoa board, I know I should post at tccoa, but as I've said before, you guys have always been infinitely more helpful than they have in the past)..

While back, I started hearing a strange clunking sound that I've never heard. It seemed to come from the undercarriage, in the center of the car. I knew it was something bad, and I knew I had to get it checked out, but I simply didn't have the time or money. Eventually, it just kind of.. stopped.

It was replaced with another problem - my front axle has been feeling as though something is badly wrong with it, vibrating and occasionally "grinding/pulling" sound coming from it. It really only happens when I stop at stop lights, when I go to accelerate again, it's very slow to accelerate and sometimes it makes that strange sound.

Now, I know it's a problem, I know it's something I can't fix myself, and I know I need to get it checked out ASAP. What I *DO* need to know is if anyone can identify the problem from these few sporadic clues I've provided, and more importantly how much it will set me back.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
-Chris

nap time

Hey Chris,

Your post is still making me laugh. I mean that in a good way. I just love it when one unkown noise replaces another. Especially if the car continues to drive.

All T-birds are rear wheel drive. So the front axle theory is outa there. If it's making noise when its not moving then it's your motor or your automatic tranny.

From what you describe it sounds like your tranny is about to retire. Put that bad boy in neutral or park at a dead stop. Notice anything different? Now give it a little gas and see what happens.

Your motor mounts could be completely shot too. This may have been the original problem. When your mounts blow out the engine starts to drop and sorta flop around in the engine bay. Also puts stress on the tranny.

If you end up keeping the car and putting in a new or used transmision, replace the motor mounts at the same time.

Good luck!

MB

Hey nutopia, your post reminds me of some problems I've had recently. Just some questions to narrow it down:

When did you hear the clunk? When going over bumps? Did you hear it when stopped, or only when moving?

My clunk still goes on, and it typically goes clunk-a-lunk-lunk over washboard roads. Motor mounts seem fine. All the suspension pieces seem tight - I can't find the noise at all!

Also, what is the grinding noise? Does it happen only when braking? I have a cyclic grinding or creaking noise only when I am slowing to a stop. (It goes grunk, grunk, grunk, ... grunk, ... grunk ... stop.)

Back