Brakes creak ... why?

S_Mazza

I searched thoroughly before posting, so please bear with me if you know the answer:

My T-Bird is an 89 non-SC with no ABS. Three months ago, I replaced the front pads and rotors, and the left front hub. I had one shop replace all 4 tie rods, and another shop replaced the upper control arms. On to the problem:

When I brake to a stop, the car makes a sort of creaking/grinding noise. It seems to happen once per revolution of the wheel. (grunk, grunk, grunk ... grunk ... grunk ...) It seems to be coming from the right front wheel. I can feel the "grunk" in the pedal, and I think in the steering wheel as well. The pedal has recently developed a pulsation, although it did not always accompany the noise.

I have removed the wheel and inspected all components, and there are no obvious flaws.

By the way, my mother's Windstar makes the same noise in the left front. I have inspected her brakes and suspension as well, and cannot find anything wrong.

Does anyone know what this may be? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

hey i have the same problem. If you keep rolling with that you will break off the BOLTS that HOLD THE WHEEL TO THE AXLE. I just broke off another one today. I only have 2 LUG NUTS left. I believe its a WARPED rotor and the CALIPERS. Im having the CALIPERS replaced today and ima get some new ROTORS. I need also to take it to a shop so they can replace the BOLTS that hold the wheel. I only have 2 left. scared to drive. Replace your calipers first and take the rotors so they can do that thing on them and see if they are damaged or what...

( Definition: [adv] with respect to vision; "visually distorted")

In my attempt at defining the problem, I used the
word "visually" to convey to S_Mazza that the problem with his
warped rotor may be of such a slight nature, that to try and
detect such an imperfection with the naked eye may prove to be
fruitless. The irregular rotation experienced, and cause thereof
would best be resolved by examination of the offending rotor
utilizing an appropriately calibrated, highly accurate piece of
equipment. (ie. dial indicator, or similar apparatus).

68COUGAR:
It's hard to mentually visualize it too!

I feel your pain.

I have a noise in my head now and it goes, grunk, grunk, grunk ... grunk ... grunk .

Last edited:
Thanks, guys, for the ideas. I have been thinking about swapping the rotors left-right to see if the problem moves. My problem is, it's 28 degrees right now and I have no garage.

Darkstar_one, if you are snapping lug studs, I think you may have a bent wheel. Someone over on TCCOA had a similar thread that lasted at least a month, and a bent wheel turned out to be the cause. Get those studs replaced as soon as possible, and get your wheel checked. Or you could swap it left-right and see if the studs on the other wheel break. (That doesn't sound good at all, does it?)

TBirdDriver, sorry about the noise in your head. ;)

Back