Blue/White Smoke What would cause it?

SCYALTR

Hello,
When I mash on the gas pedal I get a bluish white smoke out of the exhaust pipes. The car has been sitting for about 6 weeks. It also has started to back fire today.
What could it be?
Any info would be helpful.
Thanks,
D Rainer

fairly certain blue smoke is oil... white smoke once the vehicle is warmed up could be coolant...

Mine seemed to be gray and was the IAC valve. But backfiring? Hmm? There goes that theory..maybe you got two plug wires mixed up.

Have you performed any work to the vehicle? How much smoke? Under certain conditions it is possible bluish smoke can be a symptom of running rich.. though it is usually black. Perhaps you are taking in oil through the PCV system.. check oil level & the PCV valve. Does this happen any time other than hard acceleration; like during startup?

Hello

Hello,
Thanks for all the info guyz.
I have done some work to the car in the past couple of months.
I replaced passenger side valve cover gasket.
New plugs & wires.
I changed the oil yesterday.

I get quite a bit (Like I did a quick burn out) of smoke when under hard acceleration. I guess the smoke is more blue/light gray with a dash of white he he.
I don't get the smoke on startup.

Where would the PCV valve be?
Is it right behind the TB? Does it hook into three hoses?

Thanks again for the info.
Laterz,
D Rainer

mine makes some smoke on hard acceleration a lot of it is carbon blowing out of exhaust and blowing moisture out of the mufflers ,that boost makes a lot of heat quick and there is a lot of exhaust flowing, ive seen it smoke bad enough when really ripping on it i thought my headgaskets went but they were fine

Last edited:
Hello

Hello,
Would a compression test tell me if the rings were bad or leaking?
Thanks,
D Rainer

It would, but I would consider other things first. Your PCV valve is located behind the throttle body, with a hose connected to it. It makes a 90 degree bend with a plastic elbow after the hose, into the valve itself. Take it out and shake it, if it does not click or if it is covered in oil, replace it with a new Motorcraft unit. Some aftermarket units will not seal the boost like the stock unit will, and thus oil will leak into the system even with a new unit.

How dirty was the oil you took out? Does it run well w/ full power?

Back