Anyone know about different gas doors?

MTTod

I want to eliminate the finger tab from the gas door on my Cougar. I'm putting a solenoid in there to release it.

Did any of the Birds or Cougars have gas doors without the finger tab? I know some had an electric release below the trunk release button. The other question is if any of the newer TBirds or Cougars didn't have it.

I know I can cut it out and weld in a piece but if I can avoid the work I'd be happier.

You've Answered Your Own Question

The T-Birds & Cougars that had the electric release gas doors all had flat doors (no finger tab).

Make a trip to your local U-Pull-It & you'll find plenty of them. I got the door, & the entire wireing harness, for $15!!!!! The switch in the glove box is a MOFO to get out!!!!!! The wireing harness plugs into the tail light harness. Don't loose the metal tab that pulls the release back. There is nothing holding it on the cable, except the position of the cable, once it's mounted.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

68COUGAR

MTTod said:
I want to eliminate the finger tab from the gas door on my Cougar. I'm putting a solenoid in there to release it.

Did any of the Birds or Cougars have gas doors without the finger tab? I know some had an electric release below the trunk release button. The other question is if any of the newer TBirds or Cougars didn't have it.

I know I can cut it out and weld in a piece but if I can avoid the work I'd be happier.

WoW.. an I thought I was the only one anal enough to do something like this.. hahahah..

I got all my parts... only thing is.. on my 1989 Cougar.. where the solenoid goes in (from inside the trunk) there is a cap or something in place that I can't seem to get out.. once I get that out.. solenoid will pop right in... get the new cover painted.. put it on.. and I am in business..

Cost me about 5 bucks at a local salvage yard for the parts.. :)

Karl

MTTod said:
I want to eliminate the finger tab from the gas door

OR do it on the CHEAP, & just get the correct gas door from the U-Pull-It, & install it All By It Self, w/o the switch & wireing harness. You'll still be able to open the gas door, just not as easily!!

Cheap 68COUGAR

I haven't been to the local yards yet. There are only 5 MN12 cars in this area. 2 1989 Birds, 1 1994, 1 1995 and 1 1989 Cougar. Might have to make a trip to Washington to get this one.

Find the Remote!!!

All of them were avail. W or w/o remote gas doors. You're just gonna have to look!

I found one in black, in about 30 min. near Chi!!!!! (Thank you PDiddy)

68COUGAR

Back