Door Ajar light won't go off!!!! WhY???

ZeeK

Anyone had this problem??? And how do you fix it!!! I tried to WD-40 the door latch!! Make sure everything is lubed!!

I had my car sitting for a year and then I noticed the door ajar light!!

Any help would be good!! I was thinking about removing the bulb in the guage cluster but thats not really fixing anything, just cheating!!

Yuk YuK!!

Last edited:
Not the Latch

The problem is that the dome light switch is stuck or broken. The latch has nothing to do with it.

68COUGAR

First of all, what year SC is this problem on?

Second, I don't think this is a problem with the dome light switch. At least on my '94, there are 2 switches to indicate when the door is open. One controls the interior lights, and only the interior lights. That switch is on the body up near the door hinge. The other switch controls the door ajar light. This switch is located in the latch assembly inside the door.

It's very common (at least on the 94/95 models) for this switch to either fail, or get misaligned or something. On mine, I just unplugged that switch inside the door. It was a lot easier than trying to get the thing to work.

Dale

I had the same thing happened sprayed quite a bit of wd-40 into latch assembly and went away after a day or so. It's not the switch that you can see on the door but inside the mechanism. Common Ford issue as I have had this same thing in two different shos and my sc.

Its a 1990 SC, I guess I'll try to soak the latch with more WD-40 and see what happens.

thanks for the replies!!:D

Another wierd thing I just remembered, before I got the whole car repainted the door ajar light was on.

The original doors were so bad I had to get 2 new doors put on. I thought the door ajar light should go away but it didn't!!!

I also had this problem with my 94. I was replacing my door stricker and started fiddling with the door latch....i heard a spring come loose and the door ajar light never went off after that. I ended up just taking the bulb off the info center. I then tried seeing if i could fix it, took the door pannel off and everything, but i just cant seem to find away of fixing it unless you change the actual latch assembly...and THAT seems like a ROYAL PITA.

Back