PDA

View Full Version : For those with OEM size drilled brake rotors

68COUGAR
12-04-2003, 04:58 PM
When you switched to drilled rotors, did your stopping distance decrease? Was there a "seat-of-the Pants" difference?

Are there differences in drilled brake rotors from different companys?

This last summer I put the most Aggressive Porterfield street brake pads (R4-S) on my car. Holy ****, what a difference!!!! Much shorter braking distances & virtually NO brake dust on my wheels!!!!

When I did the brakes, my OEM rotors were usable, but they were near minamum. Next brake change will require new rotors.

I found some drilled rotors for $150 pr + shipping. Just wondering if that's a good price, & what kinda performance they give, over OEM rotors.

68COUGAR

fast Ed
12-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Take a look over on the Corners Carvers forum, do a search on "cross-drilled rotors". ;)

If you need new rotors, just buy a new set of top quality OEM style rotors.

cheers
Ed N.

68COUGAR
12-04-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by fast Ed N Corners Carvers forum
Found the "Corner Carvers Forum", but can't post. I tried to register, but that has been disabled by the moderator.

I can "read around" but that's all.

The idea of vented rotors is valid. The problem is getting Good QUALITY vented rotors!

68COUGAR

RichM
12-04-2003, 07:35 PM
When I put the KVR Performance (https://www.kvrperformance.com/world/world.html) cross drilled rotors on my 91 my first impression was that the initial grab was more pronounced. I still have this opinion. I think most of this is the pad compound and not the rotor.

After I broke them in I also noticed that the braking force didn't increase in proportion with the pedal travel. This only leads me to believe that 12 year old brake lines are a bad thing.

I think KVR still has them for less than 150 a rotor.

In a nutshell I really like my cross drilled and doubt I will go back to standard rotors. I hope I can find a good sintered pad for the next time I do a brake job.

I will also never ever buy the cheap replacement rotors (unless I absolutely have to) they sell at Autozone or Checker. Took me all of 20 miles to warp one of those. But I come down a rather long steep hill everyday after work.