95 M3 Vs 94/95 SC

1QuikV6

I go to school with a girl whose dad has a 95 M3 5 speed. He flat out swears that it'll smoke an SC. Heres what I know about the car which is stock except for the 18" rims and sport tuned suspension. The performance numbers I listed are for automatics so Im not sure what it'd do with the 5 speed.

313634_116_full.jpg

313634_92_full.jpg

-3.0L inline-6 (S50 B30)
---U.S. spec 240 hp with VANOS(detuned from Germany's 333 hp)

---1st redline: 50 mph
---2nd redline: 80 mph
---3rd redline: 110 mph
---4th redline: 140 mph
---5th redline: 155.3 mph (electronically governed)

-25% Limited Slip Differential

-3250 lbs. dry weight

Stock Performance
-0-60:6.7(auto)
-0-100:16.1(auto)
-1/4 mile:15.3(auto)
-Top speed:155.3 mph(limited)

Last edited:
It never even entered my mined that an M3 would be offered with an automatic. :confused: Who'd do that? Kinda missing the point.

Anyway, I think it being a 5 spd will make a big difference. The stats I found show 6.2 to 60 and mid 14's.
Are those pictures of the car there? You sure it's stock? I'm doubtful that someone who would modify the suspension would be able to keep from doing a few mod's under the hood. Those are some nice cars.

The European M3s of that era were 282 hp, not 333 ... that's what the new ones have.

Anyway, a stock U.S. spec 95 M3 should have no trouble dusting off a stock SC ... they are definitely a low-to-mid 14 second car.

cheers
Ed N.

just from a little experience.....my buddy had an Automatic M3 when i had my 90 Crx Si 5spd. He could barely pull away from me at highway speeds , he did get me pretty good off the line though. I had my crx dialed at a 15.7 1/4 mile time so im guessing he could have shot down low 15's. Just thought id throw that in

BTW .... he had an intake and exhaust, nuthin crazy.

-walter

p.s.- just take him to a local track/strip and tell us what happens:D ;)

Well, ya see, Im lookin at buyin it. Its a very very sharp car. And BTW it is a completely stock drivetrain, just handling mods.
Ive just always wanted a Bimmer. And the opportunity presented itself just as I was coming into some good money at work. Maybe its fate or something.
And I cant take him to the strip..... No more SC. Been gone for a while now. I guess Ill have to get Z to take him.
14 second car???????????? ARE YOU SERIOUS? WOW! A few mods and Ill be able to play with some nice F bodies. And YES, M3s did come in Autos up until the current 333hp model

If the price is right, BUY IT. To rate an M3 by what it does in the quarter is to do it a dis-service. If it does well in the quarter, that's just a bonus.

When I was running against RussellR (91-5 SC) and his son (95-5 M3) at MSR last weekend the M3 was definatly quicker than both our SCs, in the corner or strait. And the M3 could sustain it. (Of course brakes and corner speed help a bunch on the straits, so total car makes it happen) Both of us tried to stay with it and had to let it go, though Russell started having brake problems. I had to let it go myself, the one lap I tried, when I lost all brakes in big bend. In fact the M3 stayed up with a spec Miata the second session which is so fast in the turns that it has good strait away speed. I could not believe what I was seeing!!! Of course he eventually let the light weight Miata go after many laps, as his tires were waisted by end of session.

I did notice a slight strait away speed better than my car after big bend. But I have low compression in one cylinder and slight backfiring so I should not have even been on the track. If you look up the MSR track it was only the strait after "little bend" that I seem to have any advantage on the 91 SC or the M3. Perhaps it is the torque of the 95SC in that short strait, and maybe I did the corner good.

95-5 SC in good condition with big brakes and racing pads, and big wheels and similar tires might be a match, but it would depend on the driver. Perhaps lowering springs/shocks and ADCO bars would be needed. And to last on a raod race course the SC should have more IC cooling, bigger radiator, opened exhuast. Oh, and 3.08 or 3.27 gear change. At MSR anyway. So figure the expense trade off. VERY IMPRESSIVE CAR THAT M3, with a good driver like Russell's son.

Last edited:
" I guess Ill have to get Z to take him."..........RIIIIGGGHHHTTTTT!!
Dude,I got my butt smoked by a Chevy Cyclone pick-em-up the other day...I don't know what he had in that thing but when the light changed he hooked up while I was spinning the rears..he was gone....I did get to his right rear wheelwell before we had to back out but he owned me....I gave him a thumbs up at the next lite....don't know what he had in that little truck but he was quick and it was planted to the road.Just goes to show....sometimes when a vehicle looks mean----IT IS.[Not condoning street racing but sometimes,if the road is clear,it happens.]
z

z90sc said:
I don't know what he had in that thing but when the light changed he hooked up while I was spinning the rears..he was gone

Don't feel bad. GMC Syclones were a limited run pick up in the early ninties.

The turbocharged 4.3L V-6 is rated at 285hp and 360 ft lbs with a liquid intercooler stock.

The reason he hooked and was gone is because it has all wheel drive.

You must be running pretty good to stay even close to him because those trucks run mid to low 13s bone stock.

Last edited:
Syclones and Typhoons are very cool cars. A lot of people have forgotten about them, and with all the dropped trucks these days they make some good sleepers. I think they have some reliability problems when they start to get modified, but very cool trucks. I'll always remember the Car & Driver article when they came out. They compared it to a Ferrari. It won in the drag as well as beer keg capacity.
[The Ferrari heats up the tires]
"...but the trucker? He jes smile. Don't want to put no heat in my inta-coola"
LOL!
:cool:

hey, look Z, I was jus givin ya benefit of the doubt!:D

I know Bimmers are fast, and just look at BMW. They're a road racing pedigree. BMW's are nimble, thats for sure, and almost 250hp out of a N/A inline 6 is pretty good. I cant find many downsides to this M3 other than cost of parts, ride quality, cost of tires, and.... well... I think thats about it... And the exhaust note.......:p Wow, Wow, Wow.
Id buy it on the spot if it was the SC blue, instead of that Vanos Blue.

I guess the bank deserves a phone call. Maybe it'll jus have to be an 18th Bday present to myself. Jan 5th... hehe less than a month away!
Z> Have you heard from Tom lately?

i have a 94 325is

lol-sorry-i know its no m3 but i couldnt afford one of those-its seems pretty damn quick-and handles like nothing ive ever driven(stock) Ya wanna know what the best thing is-when you can shift it by blowing on the shifter as opposed to my damn sc (RIP)that requires a damn pipe for leverage-lol

minor exageration

mike

By the way guys-the bird rebirth has begun-the start-a 93 lx 5.0 engine donor car to make a 347 out of, and brian herron of apten tunings 94 auto sc shell-oh yes-it has begun.

wish me luck

Back