Intake manifold gasket?

shotbirdsc

I have installed my previous intake manifold gasket with the fel pro style but have taken them off and purchased oem gaskets which are the metal type similar to the headgasket material. my Question:: Do I use any copper RTV while installing these? If none on these gaskets what about the rubber ones that run cross ways?

thanks Eric

Intake Gaskets

Eric,
I recently replaced my intake gaskets with the Felpro set and at the suggestion of the other mechanics at the garage I just started at, used the following method:

1. - light coating of sensor safe gasket maker arouond both sides of the gaskets at the four water passage connections (the end ones on both gaskets.

2. - throw out the cork gaskets that run across the intake and simply use a good bead of sensor safe gasket maker in their place.

3. - use teflon pipe sealant on all bolts that hold the intake on, torque to about 9 ft lbs, then 12, then 15 in the proper order.

This may not answer your question regarding the stock gaskets your installing, however it worked just fine. NO leaks, and boost works as it should.

One final note - I left the car sit overnight and retorqued to 15 foot lbs. the next day after everything sat overnight. I have no intention of retorquing again, although I was careful to run several heat cycles before getting into any serious boost.

I've put several thousand miles on since with no problems.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Back