My SC Stalled In Snow Storm

SC-71 TBIRD

Today I had no choice to drive my SC in the snow and let me tell you its a bear to drive. But getting to the point, my car just stalled out of the blue. I tried to restart the engine but the engine would just crank and not turn over. After 5 minutes of cursing and retrys the car started, but I had noticed something interesting. The TACH RPMs was reading 0 for about 10 to 20 seconds and the engine wanted to stall again until I reved the RPMs higher. Then the TACH starting working again and the engine RPMs held around 700 to 800 RPMs. The car ran fine after that, what gives??:confused:

Your symptom with the tach indicates that this could be a cam sensor. Apparently they will not always produce a check engine light.

Try This search for more information. I don't believe the car would be likely to start at all with a bad crank sensor.

I agree with the cam sensor theory. Every supercoupe I have had has had to have the cam and crank sensor replaced. Ford should have put that in the maintenance manual, replace these sensors every 75k, lol.
I would go ahead and buy both sensors and replace them both.

JH

when my cam sensor went out it never did turn on the check engine light. The tach not working is the best indication that it is the cam sensor. Mine was intermittent for a while then got to where it wouldn't get out of the driveway........It's not expensive and one of the FEW things that's easy to change on an SC :)

Back