t5 conversion?????

rglenn

ok i have decided not to rebuild my aod or get an upgraded one.i plan on doing the t5 conversion but have heard trhat the m5 is better than the t5.either way its gonna entail the same mods minus the 400$ adaptor and such.t5's are a dime a dozen so i dont see if they hold up in stangs why in the bird it would be a biggy.every m5 tranny i have ever seen with over 100k needs synchros for 2nd and 3rd.any advice will help.
Ryan

The stock mustang T-5s dont have the torque capacity of the M5 plus the shifter is located about 5" too far forward.

www.mn12performance.com now offers a kit to move the shifter back, the only other option is to cut the trans tunnel forward and modify the console to fit the shifter further forward, theres a tech article on that on www.tccoa.com. Looking at the 89-93 console top, it doesnt seem like a bad way to go. I wanted some pics of that setup to see exactly where the shifter sits though...

Personally I'll deal with the M5 til I can figure out how to fit a T-56 in there.... ;)

T56

My M5 is crapping out too. I talked to D&D transmission about a T56 and they didn't have an answer for the shifter issue. They offer two different T56s that fit our engine bolt pattern. The Cobra one and the Viper one with 5.0 bellhousings. The Viper one is longer but the tail section positions the shifter forward so you end up with the shifter in the same position.
Someone needs to figure this one out soon. I don't really feel like putting any more $$ into my M5.

The guys at R & E Racing have a T-56 in their T-Bird. They are the people who did the work on the T-45 I put in my 1995 T-Bird. They also did Coil-Over set-up too. They use to offer a supercharger from 5.0 Bird but from what I heard it had too many problems. They did a really nice job on my shifter extension though.

Back