SCP 340HP Package

ThunderCoupe94

Honestly, Is the 340HP package from SCP worth the money asked for it? Its just shyt of $4000 for it but i wanted to make sure it was worth the money b4 i went ahead and spent money on it. What do u guys think? Let me know your imput on this kit. Thanks in advance

Jay

Linkage: http://www.supercoupeperformance.com/HP Packages.htm

300 HP Package
Includes SCP/Kooks Headers (JetHot ceramic coated or uncoated), 2 1/2" Down Tubes (with or without cats), High Flow 3" Cat Back Exhaust, Magnum Powers "Classic" Supercharger Top, 70mm BBK Throttle Body, C&L 73mm MAFS, K&N filter of your choice, 800 CFM Intercooler fan, 5% Supercharger Overdrive Pulley, and a 3 Piece Underdrive Accessory Pulley set.

'89-'93 3.8L SC engines need to be upgrade to 38 lb/hr injectors. All model year 3.8L SC engines will require a 190 LPH fuel pump.

340 HP Package
Includes everything listed above in the 300 HP package plus the addition of a "S" model supercharger and a SCP Fresh Air Induction System.

Optional, but highly recommended with both these packages:
1. 3:73:1 gears for Automatics or 3.27s for 5-speeds
2. Magnum Powers High Flow Inlet Plenum, 85mm Throttle Body, and 3.5" Fresh Air System ( Will add even more power in addition to 340 HP Package! )
3. Drag radials should be considered to deal with the 450 + ft-lb of torque while at the strip!

I think you could do much better getting the stuff yourself. Comparing SCP to other sources:

Headers:
(really not necessary unless youre going for heads/cam too)
SCP: 620 Ported Manifolds: ~150 max
Exhaust:
SCP: 740 + 195 ART: 700 (http://www.speedfreak.cc/products/texhaust/)
SC Top:
SCP: 330 Other: 200-330 (use the search to find custom ones)
TB:
SCP: 270 MN12: 250
73mm CL MAF:
SCP: 175 Summit: 125
IC Fan:
SCP: 95 Jegs: 60
Pulley: about 60 either way
Underdrives:
SCP: 180 Other: around 150
S-model:
Buying the complete $1600 sc is idiocy nowadays, get your late model ported for 300
Intake:
SCP: 250 ZR: 190

Total:
SCP: 3215
Other: Min: 2185 Max(with headers):2785

Personally Im slowing building my car up on the cheap using used parts and group buys/specials, only about $1200 in performance and it ripped off a 95.45 trap speed on the second run since I modded it. I can probably get low-mid 14s with practice.

-Travis
1995 5-speed
14.87@95.45mph

Travis, Thanks for the info, its greatly appriciated. I am prolly gonna go a diff route anyway cuz i want some diff things then the scp 340 kit offers like a bigger MAF, TB, Intake, & Headers. But thanks again for the info guys.

Jay

I have most of those parts .I dont think that I am over 300rwhp or even near 300rwhp.
I don't have the headers .

I think to get up to 340rwhp you would need ported heads and a cam.

I don't know, it may be possible to get that much hp at the crankshaft.But i think you would
be hard pressed to get 340 rwhp. With just the 340hp package.

Not with the rest of the motor being stock.

So do you want 340rwhp. Or are you looking for 340 hp at the crank.

RANDY

IMHO youl be better using those 4k to buy good heads/cam and bottom end , and the rest to buy exhaust and maybe some intake goodies.

Hey Travis-
Thanks for taking the time to do the price comparison between scp and all the other vendors, I was also curious what the price difference would be between them.
But for the cold air intake you forgot an option: the focus cai ;) I pieced mine together for a total of $56:D

focuscai1.sized.jpg

The ford focus CAI works on our cars?

I know that if you hammer the collector on the 3.8litre mustang headers they will fit our cars...but the CAI would be a definite bonus.

What you need to do to the mac headers is cut off the flange and turn it around and re-weld it on the drivers side. passenger side fits. thats what we did to get them to fit my friends 35th.

$269.99 beats the hell out of $695.00

300 hp Package

rock5 said:
300 HP Package
Includes SCP/Kooks Headers, 2 1/2" Down Tubes, High Flow 3" Cat Back Exhaust, Supercharger Top, 70mm BBK Throttle Body, C&L 73mm MAFS, K&N filter of your choice, 800 CFM Intercooler fan, 5% Supercharger Overdrive Pulley, and a 3 Piece Underdrive Accessory Pulley set.

'89-'93 3.8L SC engines need to be upgrade to 38 lb/hr injectors. All model year 3.8L SC engines will require a 190 LPH fuel pump.

Optional, but highly recommended with both these packages:
1. 3:73:1 gears for Automatics or 3.27s for 5-speeds
2. Magnum Powers High Flow Inlet Plenum, 85mm Throttle Body, and 3.5" Fresh Air System ( Will add even more power in addition to 340 HP Package! )
3. Drag radials should be considered to deal with the 450 + ft-lb of torque while at the strip!

OK, I have most of the 300 hp package, except the 70mm TB & I have 36 lb injectors. Got the 3.27's & Late model 5-spd. ,Coy 1 cam & 10%.

I put down 230 rwhp & 330 TQ, before the DIC w/fan. Ran 14.250 @ 97.6 with the DIC & 8" fan.

68COUGAR

Last edited:
I have everything that would be in the "340" package except I have MAC headers instead of Kooks, and no underdrive pulleys or 5%, and a Pro-M 75mm MAF instead of C&L. Plus I have ported/polished heads, Comp valve train with big valves, 1.8 roller rockers, EEC tuner, and other stuff. With all that I only pulled 270 hp on the dynojet last week. OK so that was with a broken tranny and a couple other problems, so I might be able to hit 300 with everything fixed. So if the 340 package means 340 crank hp, then maybe it's about right, since if you subtract what the heads are making, which I've heard can be around 50-75 hp (?), then the numbers seem reasonable.

Do yourself a huge favor and decide how much power or how fast you want to go BEFORE you start buying parts.

I've changed just about everything twice and some things three times. If you want bolt-ons that will get you car in the 13s now and will support 12s when you add heads and cam later, then consider doing this.

The exhaust system in the 340 package is good, but I would go with larger fuel pump, injectors, MAF and TB. (255 lph FI pump, 42# injectors, 76mm MAF & 75mm TB).

The best mod I ever made on my car was the MP II and MP inlet plenum....you can get both for less than the price of an "S" model blower. If you can get one, buy the ZR intake kit with a 7" filter. It will match up well with the other items I listed and flow all the air you need.

The other items in the 340 kit look fine but I like the MN12 Performance IC fan kit a little better, because it comes with a complete wiring harness, mounting pins and detailed instructions.

You will also need a custom chip or tuner to make the car run correctly. I've had better luck with the chips than the tuner. Let me know if you have any questions.

David

hey david what kind of prices can you expect for a mild head/cam and who do you recommend.

im aiming low 13's high 12's.

I got quoted $2500 for Steigameier (sp?) heads and cam. I don't know why you would want to go with any less.

-Steve

I don't know anything about the mild stuff, and if I were building another SC engine would go with the Stegimeier heads and cam package.

David

I haveta agree with Dave N. on the MP stuff. You won't make over 280-290 HP without a MP inlet plenum. I had a stock 94, ESM D4, ESM D3 and none of them could make over 285RWHP. The dyno chart I have from the Sept meet in St. Louis is missing a big section (like from 2700-4300) from a loose wire, but I'm willing to bet mine's making over 400RWT now. Just compare that to the numbers I had before the MP inlet... and remember the comparison was to a heavily modified, welded, ported ESM D3 inlet plenum. No other changes were made.

Bang for the buck... here's my order:

- exhaust upgrade (min. dual 2 1/4" or single 3")
- ported heads (stock valves are ok for mild-moderate apps)
- 38#-42# injectors, Holley 255 FI fuel pump, MAF, CAI & TB (73mm & 70mm ok for moderate app)
- 94-95 blower or MP II treatment to a early model
- MP inlet
- cam upgrade (the cam in the 89-93's isn't all that bad, the 94-95's cam sux)
- intercooler
- further internal engine mods (rods, pistons, bigger valves etc)

My original motor made 260RWHP and 350 RWT with ported stock heads, 2 1/4"-3" exhaust, stock 94 blower w/1"raised top, 190lph fuel pump and a 70mm TB. That was it for mods and it had 142K miles when it did that. I didn't even have a tuner or chip at the time.

Back