miss at idle only

Scott Long

I was in an accident in which the hood and bumper and lights were destroyed. The car wasn't leaking anything so I got it home but I noticed at idle its missing a bit. It doesn't seem to do it when I go into boost like it used to when I knew my wires were bad.

I have a new set of plugs to put in it and I'll be doing that soon but I am wondering if the IRCM was damaged in the wreck would that cause the car to miss? Also is it possible the impact (45 mph) caused a plug to crack or something?

By the way this is my 90 SC.

Last edited:
Scott,

I would suspect a small vacuum leak. Most likely at the IC connections. You may even have a cracked something (IC tube, top, flange ect...) in the accident.

David

maybe a plugwire came off or came loose or maybe it knocked dirt into an injector ? maybe the sudden stop or resetting the inertia switch has the computer out of wack and it needs to relearn

Last edited:
Dave the car has about 18-20" of vac at idle so I don't know what to suspect.

Scott,

So did mine...and it was leaking so bad that it was doing the death rattle and Elinore stall thing. I looked for a leak for two days and couldn't find it. Finally gave up and drove it to the ford dealer.

As soon as I pulled into the service drop off area the guy said...it sounds like a vacuum leak. Before I could finish saying "No s#2t Sherlock but I've already ruled that out" he started spraying carb cleaner on the IC connections and found a big leak on the upper tube connection next to the alternator pulley.

Just take a couple minutes to spray it down and see if you find anything before looking elsewhere.

David

I'll give it a try if its not raining/snowing in the morning.

I got the new hood primered and installed, just need to align it but its been pouring rain here. It sits too far to the right. Shouldn't be too hard to loosen the latch mounts at the fender and adjust it. I mounted up the header panel, and put on the turn signals, head lights are going on tomorrow since I finally got the adjusters w/ tabs. Then I gotta find a new bumper, but the old one will go back on for now since its intact.

Just need to get this miss figured out so I can drive this car again. The 5-speed just slides all over the road. Time to put it away for the winter.

Scott,

The carb cleaner Dave mentions does leave a residue, but is a great method for testing. I would suggest you try some electronics cleaner, as it has the same flammable properties, but evaporates completely, and leaves no residue. This way, it won't puddle up and potentially start a fire either! ;)

Good luck with this!

Back