JBL Upgrade

thewood

Ok folks, now I’m ready for my next upgrade to my 90 SC. I already have the JBL sound system. I’ve purchased the CD Player (Part No E9SF-19B169-AC) and I'll be attaching it to the JBL Radio/Cassette deck (part No F1SF-19B165-BA). I'm also installing the telescopic antenna with the electronic switch that goes with it.

So, I was told that all the wiring harnesses would be in place for the CD player and the power antenna because I already had the JBL Sound system. Well guess what, my car doesn't have the harnesses for the CD player for both data and power. Also missing is the track assembly for the CD enclosure.

So right now I’m clueless as to what electrical connections I actually need. I’ve enclosed a snapshot of what I have. The CD player has two possible connections, I’m assuming that one is for communication between it and the radio and the other is for the CD power?

Also, when I got the antenna it came with the switch but the harness was hacked off at some point. I’m assuming it was routed to a bigger run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Again:
Part number of the radio/cassette player
E9SF-19B169-AC
Part number of the CD Player
F1SF-19B165-BA
Need data cable and power cable.

PIC of Parts

Last edited:
Here’s another PIC. Can someone tell me what the small connection is for on the bottom of the Radio/Cassette? Is it for the power antenna?

Attachments

• radio-cdplayer.jpg
    radio-cdplayer.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Wireing Harness vs. Cable

Since you already have the JBL, the connections to the WIREING HARNESS are all there. Yes, there are 2 connectors on the CD player, but they do NOT go to the wireing harness. You need 2 small cables that go between the radio & CD player. Most people get them from junk yards.

Do you mean that the antenna control wires were hacked off of the wireing harness in your car, OR hacked off the switch?

68COUGAR

Slide Bracket

There is also a slide bracket that you need. The large plastic piece on the back of the CD player slides on the bracket to support the rear of the CD player.

68COUGAR

Hi there. I have a little information for you. This is gleaned from the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual for the 1989 Thunderbird.

The square plug on the CD player connects to the square plug in the top right of your radio. That is the audio input/return from the CD to the radio. There is a shielded cable that connects the two that is probably not part of your car's original wiring - gotta go to a junkyard to get it. You can find it in other Fords of a similar vintage with a radio and CD player ... like the Taurus SHO.

The second plug on your CD player is for remote turn-on from the radio, illumination, and a couple grounds. I think that plug connects into the car's wiring harness. I don't know if you will have that plug, but I think you will because your car is a 90. (My 89 with Premium sound doesn't.) If you don't, you could either buy a complete harness that does have it or possibly get a pigtail from a junkyard. (But don't ruin the harness for someone else, you know?)

The large, squarish plug on the back of your radio is the output to the amplifier.

The long, skinny one is the radio's power and illumination hookup, as you probably already know.

As for the little plug in the bottom right of the radio, I have no idea what it's for. It might be a remote turn-on wire for an antenna or something, but I know that my power antenna doesn't use it. It just uses the switch next to the VMM.

The antenna switch has a red/pink wire and a green/yellow wire going to the antenna, a yellow/black wire going to accessory power, and a black wire to ground. You should be able to solder something up with no problem.

Oh, and Ford installs a ground wire from the rear of the CD to the rear of the radio. I think it connects to the little prong on the back of each unit.

Re: Wireing Harness vs. Cable

68COUGAR said:
Since you already have the JBL, the connections to the WIREING HARNESS are all there. Yes, there are 2 connectors on the CD player, but they do NOT go to the wireing harness. You need 2 small cables that go between the radio & CD player. Most people get them from junk yards.

Do you mean that the antenna control wires were hacked off of the wireing harness in your car, OR hacked off the switch?

68COUGAR

I have all the cables for the raido/cassette. That where my unit came from. I don't have any cables for the CD player and I'm not sure which ones they are. Does anyone have a PIC of the required cables?

As for the Antenna, I purched the power antenna and switch from ebay. My car doesn't appear to have any cabling for it as I can't find anything inside the dash. The ones that were hacked off were the ones I got with the purchase. The anttena has a red and green wire with a connector on the antenna side but were hacked off on the other end and the switch has 4 wires with a connector attached to the switch but it was hacked off on the other end. I'm looking for the entire cabling between the switch/antenna/power source.

Last edited:
here's a pic of the antenna and switch with the cables. On both the ends have been cut. I need the cabling between the cuts.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 171
Back