firm ride and abs lock

SCBiscuit

hmm well after i replaced the o-ring on the pressure senor for the brakes.. i turned the key the pump cam on.. then CLICKed off. its was more like a abrupt stop...i kinda think its normal? then i started it and shut the car off. now when i put my foot on the brakes the firm ride light comes on with the abs light.. the resi is full of fluid.. can i pull the abs motor off any other cars.. besides the sc? if so please clue me in. and what does this car want now.. with the "firm ride light, abs light always on"thing.. round 3 the car wins WOOOOO. i won the other two.

the firm light is suppose to go on..your suspesion is activated by braking and steering. the abs light could be your brake relay (little brown relay on passanger side firewall) or maybe you got air in the system and it needs to be bled.

i have hehe umm 7 hours left to fix this muhahaha THEN ITS MONDAY!:-(

how do i bleed my own brakes.. and umm what about the pump not shutting up.. i can hear it slow down but it wont fully STOP . it kinda waivers REEEAAARRRRRREEEEEEAAAAR. like i said the first time i did it i could hear pressure build up and it stopped.. sounded like it was hurting trying to cram that fluid then it stopped... now it wont stop

according to the ford manual..when the pump runs on.. it is usually the abs relay.. it's a cheap part and takes 10 seconds to change

i think a new accumulator is in the futre. as well as a code scanner. im begining to think the leak is coming from there i can kinda hear a little hiss or something "airy mon" just a hissy sound coming from the pump area

I believe these cars have a vac operated brake booster. I would look for this, hopefully others can provide more details.

A bad accumulator is usually accompanied by alternatiing flashing brake & abs lights.

Unlike the Teves Mark IV system, I believe it is possible to bleed the Mark II without any special tools. This link contains some general info.. There is also a writeup in my Chiltons manual about how to bleed it. I can quote if you like.. just ask.

After you have finished your brake system work, I would check the rear caliper pins to make sure they are allowing free movement. They need periodic greasing to prevent from freezing up.

Last edited:
Back