K&N vs Fram Your opinion?

1BADSC

K&N has given me much better oil pressure than the Fram filter I had on. Have you noticed this?
My previous oil pressure with the Fram was 36 ilde and 40-41 psi during cruising.

With the new K&N filter i am pulling 41to 43psi at idle and 45-47psi at cruising speed.

I did this with the same Mobil One oil that has been in there for the last 1000 miles.

But please everyone, only answers the question above or the thread will be closed if you go off the specified topic.
Thank you.

By the way, this is a non tech question that did not fit into any other forum category so you can go ahead and close this post and any others that bother you Gldiii.

Last edited:
Depends on your driving habits. If you're going to race the motor a lot, go K&N. If you're daily driving the car, Fram should be OK. However, I heard that Fram's internal construction of the filter is very poor. Overall, I'd say K&N, but your best constructed oil filter for the dollar, would be AC Delco or Motorcraft.

If i could get a K&N without ordering it..i would get one of those. I dont use fram because in school they actually had a cut-away of a few different types of filters and fram was the worst design. Honestly i think Wix filters are very good. I either use a Wix or a motorcraft. Wix are available from where i work (Car Quest) as the premium filter and i get a great discount.

wow, who sells those, i have never seen them anywhere? Never heard anything good or bad about Valvoline's. All though I have heard that their Synthetic is better than Mobil One.

For everyone that has been living under a rock, click here and this should aleviate 10 pages of resources, view, bandwith, and yet another posts I have to wade through to find cool links making fun of an Asian kid.

Alex

Fram are junk. Period. I use NAPA filters because they are WIX filters and i work at NAPA. Like 'fast92SC' said, the Car Quest premium filters are also WIX. just make sure it's the premium filter not the second line whether you use Car Quest or NAPA....both have cheap lines also to cater to the cheapskate that wants a $2.99 oil filter......

That is what I was thinking. If I was losing that much oil pressure from just the filter, than it can't be a good thing.

Has anyone here used Amsoil oil/filters? I am running them in my 91 SC but just started this summer and I don't have equipment to test for pressure.

haven't tired them yet, but my uncle uses them and the Amsoil in his desiel and swears by them.

You guys dont need to run an oil filter. I just use some coffee filters bunched around the oil cooler, held in place by duct tape. Works great for me. Also, I found that the best oil to use that frees up HP is plain vegetable oil. With these two together, you'll be ready to win some races ;) ;) ;) ;) :eek:

fastsc92 said:
You guys dont need to run an oil filter. I just use some coffee filters bunched around the oil cooler, held in place by duct tape. Works great for me. Also, I found that the best oil to use that frees up HP is plain vegetable oil. With these two together, you'll be ready to win some races ;) ;) ;) ;) :eek:

Madd ghetto.

Fellas, the money spent on 10 dollar K&N filters is a waste in my opinion.

Three dollar fram filters are junk, stay away from the atomic orange filter.

I use motorcraft filters and never had trouble with one either. They are three bucks each also at walmart.

Save your money for the mobil1

Mobil 1?

Geesh, i got mobil1 in the diff, tranny, crankcase, and blower. No complaints at all. I love their filters too, just pricy.

btw- i only run Mobil1 Full Synthetic 10W-40 and Mobil1 Filters.

what i usually do is order 3 mobil1 filters from auto zone at a time. That way i dont have to aspecial order them every single time. I also change every 2000-2500miles.

i like the vegegable oil idea and the coffee filters held together with duct tape sound like a good filter to me.......i wonder if i can use green masking tape if i don't have duct tape ? Also will used coffee filters work? That way i can use them for coffee first and then in my car. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Back