Spanner Nut Wrench?

SlinginBeauty

Hey guys. Im at it polishing a spare pair of ic pipes and need to take them apart. I have them off. I need to take off the nut for the top and also take off the endcaps for the pipes if possible(i notice threading which makes me think its possible to take off the supports). I understand i need a spanner nut wrench to solve the job. I found this on ebay with a bunch of other things. Its the only thing that looks like its right. Is it? What does this tool look like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=588&item=2207736116
I know bill sells them at SCP but i dont want to pay 60 bucks for it. Where else can i find it. I also tried a strap wrench with out any luck. Any help will be great. Thanks. Zach

You might want to try Harbor Freight. I think they have a set of 3 and from what I hear 2 of them should work on that nut.

I really doubt those wimpy hand tools are going to work. The SC-specific spanner wrench is a super heavy duty piece with 1/2" socket drive. To give you an idea of how tight those nuts can be, it's sometimes even difficult with that spanner wrench and an 18" breaker bar. No way you can get that kind of torque with a short hand tool or strap wrench.

BTW the SC wrench is OTC tools part # 303-356. You can order it from any OTC dealer but the price is pretty much the same everywhere.

1-800-ROTUNDA

T89P-6634-A or 303-356

$49.95

They say it's for the supercharger pulley but it's the spanner nut wrench

I used a very large water pump pliers with the jaws spread all the way and that worked fine. Squeeze with one hand and tap the end of the pliers handle with a mallet.

Hey Man

Hello Zach,
I have one you can borrow.
Just send me your addy and a couple of bux and I'll send it to you.
I just moved a little further north (Humboldt county) so shipping will be cheap.
Laterz,
D Rainer

i got the OTC one (that's who makes the Ford one) from my MATCO distributor but it was more than 60 bucks......not sure what the exact price was cuz it was 2 years ago but i've got it now if i ever need it :)

Hey SCYALTR, I would love to borrow yours if your down to not have it for a week or 2. Ill even thrown if for shippin and a little extra. If your down to let me borrow it ill give you my address through my email. My email is ZachKereszturi18@hotmail.com. It shouldn't be that much to ship down and ill make sure you get it back. THanks for all your help. And i hope to hear back from you soon. Zach

Here is my address so you can send it:
Zach Kereszturi
419 Mountain View Drive
Martinez, CA 94553
If you send it let me know your add so i can send it back and hook you up with some cash. I have paypal if your in despret need of a few bucks. lol. Let me know. And thanks for your help. Zach

wooden block and hammer are cheap and work good, plus theres no scratching like pump pliers or screwdriver

Actually...

The Harbor Freight set "$15.00" is a very nice set. They are well built "Go Figure" and the correct tool for the job. I have the set and am very happy with it. Nothing quite compares to having your own chit IMO...Especially when it is on the cheep and is actually the right tool...

Here is the link.
Spanner wrench set

Brad

Last edited:
I still havnt gotton your spanner nut wrench yet. I know the mail is crazy durring the christmas season but for local should not take this long. Did you have a chance to send it? i just dont want it lost in the mail. Thanks again for your help. Zach

Sorry man

Hey Man,
Sorry I have not been home very much in the past couple of weeks and just found that the wrench was sent back to me for lack of postage.
I'll send it today 31st.
Let me know when you get it.
Laterz,
D Rainer

The OTC wrench only fits the big nut on top. You'll need some adjustable type or smaller spanner wrenches to get off the other end.

The big nut comes off the top:

sctoprg2.jpg

That small inner ring is a LEFT hand thread onto the actual top. Mine was removed with a hammer and screwdriver. It is very tight and has thread locking compound on it. A little heat will help here!

The ends come off the tubes at the flanges:

scic1.jpg

These are regular threads and actually come off pretty easily. There is an O-ring inside each one to seal it against the IC tube.

George,
I have been trying to get the inner ring off with no luck yet but now that I know it's a left hand thread that might help get it off;)
Thanks Jason

Back