Exhaust Question

wazmunstr

OK...

...someone give me the 411 on exhausts. I know what a muffler, and resonator do. But what does a cat do? Do I need it? I am wanting to buy a new exhaust system for my car and it has a cat... Give me the info!...

...and if possible, what should I run in my car? Unfortunately I do not own an SC but its very much so possible to boost my HP, so why not a new exhaust system? My setup is 2 to cat to 1 to muffler... I'd like to run maybe 2 pipes out the back or one pipe slip to 2 mufflers... SOMEONE HELP!!!

P.S. Brands would be appreciated. I'd like my V6 to sound as close to a V8 as possible, haha! Thanx again!

"I shoulda had a V8"

There is no exhaust that will make a v6 sound like a V8. If you want rumble, you need a cam. However a good low restriction exhaust with resonator will make a nice sound. There is a HUGE difference in exhaust sound, between different cat-back systems. You should listen to as many as possible to judge the sound for yourself. To me the FlowMasters sound raspy, but some people like'em.

I have SCCoA headers, 2.5" down pipes, No Cats, No Resonator, SCCoA Big Dawg (dual 2.5" - 3.5" - dual 2.5"), with dual turbo mufflers. It gets REALLY RICEY when I get on it, BUT it has almost zero backpressure (which contributes to blown HG's). It also D-R-O-N-E-S very loudly between 1800 - 2000 rpm. A high flow resonator would cure the drone & not add very much back pressure.

Whether or not you have to have cats and/or resonator on your car, depends on where you live. Michigan doesn't require them. Neither does Indiana UNLESS you live in 2 countys close to Chicago. So check your local laws!

68COUGAR

Crossover Pipes

I forgot one thing. You'll hear a lot of talk about crossover pipes. A crossover pipe helps equalize out the exhaust pulses, between dual exhausts.

The mn-12 exhaust has a single pipe down the middle. You can't get any better equalization that that!!!!! The trick is that the center section should flow as much as the two pipes that come into it. If it flows less, it'll create a bunch of back pressure.

The stock exhaust on my '89 was dual 2.25" (7.95 sq. in. cross sectional area) into a single 2.5" inch (4.91 sq. in cross sectional area). The single 2.5" was further restricted at every bend in the pipe. The problem is obvious.

You'll also hear a lot of talk about "True-Duals". That logic is 40 yrs old, from a time when all cars had a single SMALL exhaust pipe (usually 1 3/4"). The 40 yr. old reason for dual exhaust, just doesn't hold water when applied to a modern Low Restriction exhaust.

68COUGAR

wazmunstr said:
OK...

...someone give me the 411 on exhausts. I know what a muffler, and resonator do. But what does a cat do? Do I need it? I am wanting to buy a new exhaust system for my car and it has a cat... Give me the info!...

...and if possible, what should I run in my car? Unfortunately I do not own an SC but its very much so possible to boost my HP, so why not a new exhaust system? My setup is 2 to cat to 1 to muffler... I'd like to run maybe 2 pipes out the back or one pipe slip to 2 mufflers... SOMEONE HELP!!!

P.S. Brands would be appreciated. I'd like my V6 to sound as close to a V8 as possible, haha! Thanx again!

cat= catalytic converter. It is an emissions device that helps break down any unburned fuel and also aids in the breakdown of NOx emissions.

Do you need it, by federal law yeah. but if you live someplace that doesn't do inspections then who's going to know.

Borla makes a cat back exhaust that people seem to like, at least the people that can afford one like it (BIG $$).

Flowmaster also makes a cat back but word is it drones badly. Flowmaster is also know as "Dronemaster".
I think the faq has part numbers for the Borla and Flowmaster cat backs.

Magnaflow makes a resonator that is used in the SuperCoupe Performance exhaust that many people seem to like.

And I think Dynamax makes a cat back for our cars. but not sure.

You should be able fit one of the cat back kits for the SC into your LX or Base T-bird. But you will have to hit the junkyard for a right rear exhaust hanger since the LX and Base models do not have them. And maybe the exhaust hanger at the transmission I'm not sure.

Not to shy you away from the SCCoA but have you checked the Thunderbird Cougar Club of America They have a bulletin board for the Normally Aspirated V6 T-bird.

68Cougar is right, the V6 is never going to sound like a 5.0, the physics just aren't there.

Hope this helps a little.

Back