can you push start 5 speed

sc in az

Let me know please. Not sure with having to have clutch in star normally.

Also, Never had supercharged car before so I did know if it could hurt the SC

I had an old 4 cyl mustang once with a 5-speed, the starter went bad so we would always push it to start it, you have to get a pretty good roll, then dump the clutch and hit the gas, she should fire up, but again a good roll is needed.

Yes you can, however I would not recomend it becouse it will wear you out in a hurry:D . It is just like using a starter, but doing it the hard way. Hope this helped, God Blessed.

thanks guys. I used to have a nissan PU that I would push start when the battery died but was not sure if the SC would be the same because I did not have to have the clutch in to start the truck.

I have had internittent cranking problems and until I get it figured out wanted to make sure a push start could be used as a last resort.

Just throwing this in here, make sure you are on an incline, with the nose of the car pointing down....obviously...ill just tell you right now, better make sure that you push it in short bursts...get tiring very quick...

stephen

when you do this don't use first, use maybe third and get the clutch pushed back down quickly or the motor will bog.

The SC starts real easy this way. I actually drove around for over a week with no starter. I would park on a slope at home and at work so I could just hop in, start it rolling, pop the clutch, and off I went.

Also, I don't recommend this, but, you can also pull start it.
I hooked a rope up to my Explorer, had my wife get in the truck and start to pull me along, not too fast. Popped the clutch, and it started right up.
:)

thanks everyone. I think i have narrowed my problem down to the starter. will work on it this weekend. I did end up push starting last night when I left work. Luckily planned a head and parked at the top of th eparking garage so I could roll on down.

these cars sure are heavy though.

The first thing to check on your starter is the small wire that pushes onto the solenoid. Sometimes they loose contact so the starter doesn't energize itself. Clean it first and give it a shot. Good luck.

Clutch vs. Starter

The reason the clutch must be pushed to start the car, is because there is a starter interrupt switch on the clutch pedal. Since you are not using the starter when you push start the car, the interrupt circuit doesn't even come into play.

68COUGAR

Back