AOD Problem

Jim C

Need some help on a problem that I have with my Tranny. I have a 92 with an AOD that was rebuild approx 2 years ago that now has about 45,000 miles on it.

The problem is slippage. When it is cold (first started up) it works fine through all the gears. Even at WOT. However, after a few miles and if I come to a stop and then try to go, it slips badly. If I baby it with a VERY light throttle and get it moving (some slipping is occuring) it will shift up through all the gears but will slip in all of them if I apply much throttle.

This problem occurred all at once. Did not have any slippage at all until I came off of a freeway to a stop sign then all of them (gears) would slip. Also, seems strange that it works GREAT when cold but then slippage in all gears when it gets up to temp.

Don't think it would be the TVA cable adj but not positive.

Any suggestions, advice, help, etc would be greatly appreciated. I am sure that there it someone here that will have a few ideas.

yea def check the fluid level first, im sure that is the problem, or it jsut needs to be flushed, with a new filter. make sure you dont drive around too long with it like this, you will fry something

It could also be either the TV cable need adjusted, or the gromet about to go. Since the TV cable controls trans pressure, mabe its working when cold, then when it warms up, the pressure is too low. In any case, fix it fast, or it will be toast...

all i can say is DO NOT drive it like that anymore. i did and i just had mine rebuilt. the guy at the tranny shop filled a box with broken hard parts from my tranny that needed to be replaced. my rebuild ended up being about $250 more. i know it sucks cause mine is a daily driver so i drove it slippin til i fried it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have only drove it twice and only long enough to verify the symptoms. It has been garaged forthe last several months due to this problem. I looked at the TV cable and it physically looks OK but will double check the adjustment.

Fluid level is the first thing I checked and it is right on the mark although it is smelling slightly burnt. (most likely due to the recent problem) I have kept it changed on a pretty regular basis.

I may try changing it along with the filter just to be sure this isn't the problem but don't hold out much hope.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and if you all can come up with anything else be sure to let me know.

This may be a dumb question-but when the tranny was rebuilt did they go through the valvebody? Because it almost sounds to me like you have leakage in the valve body-get a valve that is leaking there and your tranny would exhibit the symptoms you describe.

Here's more info from the Ford Service manual:

Possible Source(s):
§ Improper fluid level.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «fluid level check» .

Possible Source(s):
§ TV throttle linkage misadjusted (low TV) sticking/damaged.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Adjust throttle linkage. Service as required.

Possible Source(s):
§ Low main control pressure.

Action(s) to Take:
§ «Control pressure test» . Note results.

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body bolts loose/too tight.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Tighten to 9-11 N-m (80-97 lb-in).

Possible Source(s):
§ Valve body valve or throttle control valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Determine source of contamination. Service as required

Possible Source(s):
§ Governor valve sticking.

Action(s) to Take:
§ Perform «governor test» . Service as required

Hope that helps you out.

Back