couple electrical questions

rock5

Again, more questions concerning my recently-acquired '95 SC.

1) The Auto Lamp doesn't seem to work - the headlights just come on all the time. I suspect the sensor is dirty. Where is the sensor? Can I disable this "feature"? (Oh, and which direction would be stay off unless it's really dark? I think it's so the skinniest part is facing, so correct me if I'm wrong, please.)

2) The switch to move the drive power seat backwards is intermittent at best. It worked when I test-drove the car (of course), but only rarely since then. Is this a common problem? I think since it does work sometimes, I either just need to pop off the stuff and have a look at the switch or only plan on adjusting my seat on the last Wednesday before a full moon each month.

3) My wiper relay is pretty loud. On an intermittent setting, I can hear the relay close above the radio and engine roar just before the wiper moter runs them across. Is this a sign of a future problem, or just a standard noise in these cars?

I feel a lot more comfortable fooling with electrical systems than anything else, but I don't have a wiring diagram yet.

Auto Lamps

Not sure how much '89 info works for '94's, but................. There should be a sensor mounted under the rearview mirror. It senses headlights from oncoming cars. If it is unplugged your auto headlights will not work.

There should also be a sensor in the top of the dash, near the base of the windshield. It senses light coming directly down onto it (ie: sunlight but also works with bright flashlights). If that is defective or unplugged, the autolamp feature will not work.

On my '89 that "sunlight" sensor is adjustable. I have mine adjusted to turn the lights on as soon as it starts getting dusk. You can pop the cover off the sensor with a very small screwdriver. To get the sensor out, you'll need an extremely short screwdriver. Most stubby screwdrivers are to long for the job. I hacked the end off of a screwdriver & had a 90 degree handle welded onto it. It was crude, but it worked better than trying to get a regular stubby in there.

I hope this helps, but like I said, this is '89 information.

68COUGAR

Okay, I'll start hunting around for those sensors. Inside the car makes a lot of sense. As per an 85 Cadillac Seville I owned, where the sensor was in the grill and always caked with dirt, I expected something similar. Probably not dirt this time.
Graçias.

You might just have a bunch of crud in the seat tracks stalling the motor. It is worth a try to remove the seat, clean the tracks real good and lube them. An incredible amount of debris gets trapped in there. While you're at it make sure the motor connector is making good contact, use some dialectic grease at the connection. The seat comes out with a nut on a stud at each corner, one of them is larger (15mm I think) (other 3 13mm). Seat has to be forward to get the back ones. If this doesn't solve problem, switch or motor is bad. Good luck, John

rock5 said:
My wiper relay is pretty loud. On an intermittent setting, I can hear the relay close above the radio and engine roar just before the wiper moter runs them across. Is this a sign of a future problem, or just a standard noise in these cars?
I didn't want to reply to this, till I tried it on my car. Yes, my car's intermittant wipers are loud, but they are no more loud than when I bought the car new in '89. I can hear the relay/wiper noise even when the radio/CD is at "normal" listening levels.

68COUGAR

Thanks for the info everyone.

Updates:

1 - It does appear my Auto Lamp works in bright sunlight, but rarely otherwise. Since having the headlights on all the time is kind of safer anyway, I guess this isn't a problem.

2 - I'll follow John's suggestion and yank the seat. I checked the track, and it does seem pretty rusty under there. Could probably use a good dose of WD-40 or white grease.

3 - Good to know this is normal because I was listening to it again last night. The good thing is, after next week, this car should rarely see rain.

Back