questions about cats

you dont want to reuse the cats, that would be a stupid thing to do, unless you liek restriction, either get high flows or go nothing at all. i wouldnt use em, they are at like a 90 degree angle.

aplvlydrtybird said:
you dont want to reuse the cats, that would be a stupid thing to do, unless you liek restriction, either get high flows or go nothing at all. i wouldnt use em, they are at like a 90 degree angle.

no the stupid thing to do is have no/gutted cats in Mass we have emissions which means ill have to have some, high flows are out of the question because then i will have to redo the entire exhaust my $$$ doesnt grow on tree and i am well aware of the 90 degree angle

so back to my question can i use 89-95 cats on my 90?

Likely no.. It depends on whether you have the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve which was usually, but not always, found on cars equipped w/5 speed transmission. In that setup, the Cats are a 2stage setup for HCs and CO and the EGR controls Nox emissions. For AOD equipped cars, the usual setup was to use a 3 stage cat where the last stage controls Nox. A 3 stage cat is longer than a 2 stage, if that helps.
If you can find a like setup, then it might work. :)

I put the header pipe W/cats and resonator on my 93. It bolted up with a minimum of cursing. I have a 5 speed and no EGR(stock). I to am short on dough but the clanging in the cat was driving me nuts. It was cheaper to buy an old used set until I can afford to do it right.

Back